Finder - Creating symlinks instead of aliases

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been having trouble creating symlinks from the finder. I want to create symlinks to some of the directories in my iTunes library and put them in a 'Sync' folder. Then I can rsync the contents of this directory periodically to my iRiver.

Finder only seems to let me create an alias when I apple-control+drag to my Sync folder. Rsync will not follow aliases, only symlinks.

Is there any way I change the default finder behaviour so that it creates symlinks instead of aliases?

If this can't be done, is there any way I can create a context menu item in the top level of the context menu hierarchy and have that run a shell script to creates the symlink in my sync folder?

Thanks

Chris

OP
I
Reaction score
Great tip - it's worked perfectly. Thanks.

I've create a workflow in the automator that creates symlinks in my sync directory for everything I select in the finder. Then I can just rsync to my iRiver!

Brilliant....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.