iMac Aluminum gets hot and leaves burn-in marks on screen

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Hey.

I was wondering, on the top left side of my iMac, the spot gets really really hot, feels (psychologically) like it's gonna melt and also leaving horrible burn-in marks all over the screen which I can't get rid of ( I tried what Apple has to say about it and I also tried JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and screen burn-in ).

It all started since the Apple store guys at the genius bar changed my power supply after it died like 3 months ago.

iMac 24"
2.8Ghz Processor
2GB RAM
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.7

Gets very hot in this spot:

Here's what the iStat nano widget says:

What should I do? should I give it to Apple? the computer is still under AppleCare but it's a real burden for me to take it there.

Thanks a lot!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What should I do? should I give it to Apple? the computer is still under AppleCare but it's a real burden for me to take it there.

Burden or not, take it back to Apple and have them repair it. A display getting hot in one spot or spots is clearly a defect. It's not something you should be dealing with. Since it's still covered by Apple care, let them take care of it. Be sure to make a backup of all your data prior to taking it on in.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Burden or not, take it back to Apple and have them repair it. A display getting hot in one spot or spots is clearly a defect. It's not something you should be dealing with. Since it's still covered by Apple care, let them take care of it. Be sure to make a backup of all your data prior to taking it on in.

Regards.
Again, I agree with chscag. The inconvenience you'll experience now will be much less severe than one you might face in the future if the problem gets worse.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Alright guys, thanks for the replies.
I made an appointment to the Apple store.
The problem is that the closest Apple store to where I live is 1 and a half hours drive T_T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Hey.

I was wondering, on the top left side of my iMac, the spot gets really really hot, feels (psychologically) like it's gonna melt and also leaving horrible burn-in marks all over the screen which I can't get rid of ( I tried what Apple has to say about it and I also tried JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and screen burn-in ).

It all started since the Apple store guys at the genius bar changed my power supply after it died like 3 months ago.

iMac 24"
2.8Ghz Processor
2GB RAM
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.7

Gets very hot in this spot:

Here's what the iStat nano widget says:

Thanks a lot!

I know this may be a little late but as you describe the location of the most heat is exactly where the power supply is located in the imac, so in short do not use it any more and definitely take it in to the store and have them replace the power supply again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.