Determine External Hard Drive Format

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just switched from a PC running linux to a new macbook. I'm having trouble remembering the unix commands to determine the formatting of the hard drive. I would guess its ext2 or ext3 but can't really remember and having no luck mounting it in mac.. I really need some pictures from it from Tanzania and will be quite upset if I'm unable to extract them. Thanks
Ben

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could execute mount to see the fs but if the drive isn't mounted, that will be of little use.

Does the disk come up at all in Disk Utility?

OP
B
Reaction score
yeah not mounted unfortunately. Does show up in disk utility but has little information. All it says is partition type: Linux. Mount Point: Not Mounted. Any thoughts? I mean the exact format isn't of particular interest to me.. just want to grab the files off the drive, reformat it under mac and move on.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ah ended up just using a ubuntu live cd on a windows desktop, found the hard drive was xfs formatted, copied the contents over to the windows box, reformatted as fat32(yuck), copied the contents back to the hard drive and finally put them on the macbook. thanks
ben

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
XFS? Don't see that too often for a personal Linux installation. Usually it's ext2/3 or reiserfs. :)

Do you plan to use the HD between the Mac and the Windows box? If not, you would be better with something like HFS+.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.