Screen Issues :( Looking for advice

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I was on my macbook today reading random pages on wikipedia (as you can see in the picture) and talking to a few friends on Adium and suddenly a huge greay bar appears down the right side of my screen. I have no idea where it came from or why it did that but I'll post some pictures. (sorry the pictures are lame, I took them with my phone)

3574360330_73a953b4e5.jpg

That's what it looked like at first...but then I restarted and now it looks like this:

3574360508_387817b38f.jpg

3574360402_a634ecacdd.jpg

I can't make an appointment with the apple store until I get my schedule tonight at work. But do you guys have any idea what may have caused this? And what is the likelyhood this will get fixed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be a defect or problem with your graphics chipset. In any event, if your machine is still under warranty don't worry about it. The genius folks at your local Apple store will sort it out and get it repaired for you. Make an appointment first before taking it on in. And, a bit of advice... back up all your data first.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Only by plugging in an external display can you be sure, but from the picture it looks as if you have an LCD display fault. Either way it will be the LCD or logic board, hope it's under warranty or Applecare. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro silver key, 80gb Almost Leopard
Macbook pro split screen problem

Can I throw a fast one at you guys? My poor macbook pro has been through a lot. I had a line running from top to bottom of my screen from a previous drop. Recently it took another hit and I now have an image on only once side of the screen (left side). It is a reduced image of what would be seen on the whole screen. The right side of the screen seems to be lit but no graphics show up. I'll try and include a picture. When the mbp is hooked up to an external monitor the image is fine and all seems to be working. Any idea of what the solution would be? I'm ready to put in another screen if that would solve the problem. It is a 15" macbook pro (old school) and I'm running Tiger.

macbook screen.jpeg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That would appear to be a physical fault from...dropping. You're going to go in to have that fixed. There's not much you can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro silver key, 80gb Almost Leopard
Thanks vansmith. I've got my mac in with great repair guy whose worked on a number of my mac's but this one is stumping him. He's going to keep at it but I thought someone might have seen this specific problem before. I am encouraged that the image is fine on an external monitor and was hoping a new screen would solve it. Any specifics of anyone who knows this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.