Norton Utilities

Reaction score
I'm on a G5 desktop, 10.4.11. What is the latest version of Norton that does optimization, defragmentation and data recovery that's compatible with 10.4.11? I went on their website and it seems that they don't sell this anymore?
Thanks!
tuan

Reaction score
Those tools are not necessary. The OS will handle all that.

Anyway, I'd stay far away from anything Norton. I can't tell you how may PC's I destroyed using Norton Products. Norton was good many years ago, but now I stay away from it.

If you want to optimize your system, you should update your OS to 10.5.7. Better use of your money.

Net....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Norton Utilities for the Mac is no longer supported by Symantec. And as NetBoot stated, not necessary anyway. The only defrag program for OS X that I would recommend using is iDefrag. $39.95.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'll second that recommendation for iDefrag. While it is true that OS X does defrag files automatically up to a certain size, anyone who says that a defragger is absolutely not necessary is simply wrong. As an example, my PowerBook G4 went from boot times well exceeding 5 minutes to a more normal minute or so after using iDefrag to defrag and optimize the drive on that PB.

That said, it's NOT necessary to run a defragger as frequently as one might on a Windows box, and depending on how you use your system, it may in truth not ever get fragmented enough to see a performance hit. But it can happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.