switching master drive

G

gmax

Is there a standard/easy proceedure for switching a new drive to a master drive, and switching all the software? I have a G4 Quicksilver w/ a 40g original drive. I am purchasing a new 120g internal. I am using OSX 10.3 and it is set up w/ 4 different users. I also still have the old 9.2 installed for some old apps. It seems to me that it might be a good idea to make the new drive the master. Am I asking for a lot of headaches and many hours of work? If this is not practical, is there a recommended way to set up the new drive in relation to the old one?

OP
W

warrenbert

Use Carbon Copy Clone to clone your 40GB onto your 120GB drive. Boot to your 120GB drive and use your 40GB drive for something else.

OP
G

gmax

Thanks for the tip. One more ?. When do I set the switches for the drives, i.e. master vs. slave? Do I do that before I use ccc or after, or does it matter?

OP
W

warrenbert

I am new to Macs and have a G5 with two Serial ATA channels, so I don't have a master or slave (no jumper settings required).

From Apple Support:

"The Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) and education model of Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002) computers work with ATA and ATAPI internal storage devices that are set for cable select mode.

The cable select feature forces the device to set its ID as either master or slave, based upon its position on the ATA/ATAPI cable:

* If the device is attached to the end of the cable, then it identifies itself as a master.
* If the device is at the middle cable position, then it identifies itself as a slave.

Since cable select mode forces the drive to set its ID based upon its position on the cable, hard drives and optical drives can be easily configured."

You should set your new 120GB drive to Cable Select mode via the jumper.

Switch cable positions after your successful drive cloning procedure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.