DVD Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual2.0ghz - 19" Acer AL1912 - MX700 - PioneerA09x2 - 4GB Ballistix - ATI9600XT
I have a Pioneer A08 drive that didn't come with my new G5 Dual 2ghz. I have it in an external enclosure via a Firewire connection. The drive works great as it is, but I would love to have the capabilities of a Superdrive. As far as I know, the two drives are identical, appart from a firmware upgrade! Is this true? And if so, where can it be obtained/downloaded from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
And what exactly is wrong with the Superdrive that's installed in your G5?!?
All PowerMac G5 are equipped with a Superdrive from stock, except if you replace it by a Combo-drive as BTO-option. If you did that, and afterwards bought the A08 as external, it was pretty senseless... :eek:

The A08 is actually used by Apple as a Superdrive, but I don't think that it will be recognised as such if it is in an external enclosure. You can still take it out of the enclosure and build it in the G5, and it should be recognised as Superdrive.

OP
wancarlos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual2.0ghz - 19" Acer AL1912 - MX700 - PioneerA09x2 - 4GB Ballistix - ATI9600XT
I didn't want to have a Superdrive installed from Apple as they wanted 120gbp for a 40gbp drive. I am not paying 80gbp for the priviledge of spuperdrive capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well then just take it out of the enclosure and stick it in your tower..

Should work :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Aptmunich said:
Well then just take it out of the enclosure and stick it in your tower..

Should work :)

Exactly. That should solve your problem.

Just checked the Apple UK store, it's £60.01 you gain when not taking the stock Superdrive...and where did you get the external one (drive+enclosure) for £40,-?!?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.