What kind of router do I need?

Reaction score
From a real networking newbie...

Have been working for "ages" on a G4 with no Airport card, but with AT&T DSL modem plugged directly into network port.

Just got a Powerbook, (Airport Extreme) and now want to be able to BOTH keep my direct plug in to the G-4 (second floor) and to be able to get wirelessly internet connected on the laptop from downstairs.

What do I need to get?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You need a Wireless Router. As far as brands go, you need to let us know what your budget is, there are plenty of great routers under $100 that will do what you want and more.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any good extended range router should work. Keep in mind that the router will have to be plugged in after the AT&T modem. In other words, the DSL line first goes into the modem, the router plugs into the modem output (sometimes labelled as LAN) From the wireless router to the upstairs G4 - connect via ethernet cable.

Router: (I like D-Link.) You need to make sure you buy a router that has an extended range output since it will be located upstairs and your laptop is downstairs. You didn't say what kind of laptop you have, but don't forget to turn on security when you go wireless. Use WPA or higher.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
"In other words, the DSL line first goes into the modem, the router plugs into the modem output (sometimes labelled as LAN) From the wireless router to the upstairs G4 - connect via ethernet cable."

Thanks loads!
First, I should correct to say I have a White 13" MacBook, 2ghz, 2Gb.

Now, let me make sure I've got this (questions marked...)

With the G4 off (?) and the modem off (?) unplug the (mine, yellow) ethernet cable from modem and from G4.

Plug the router into the modem port where ethernet cable was on modem; then plug one end of (yellow) ethernet cable into the router,
and the other end of (yellow) cable back into network port on G4...?

Is that it?
Truly sorry to be so kindergarten about this...!

Then my concern is that the introduction of the wireless router in the middle of the G4 "wired" connection which (works just fine now on the computer with no Airport card) - might interfere with that still needed wired connection.

Is this a valid concern?

And will I be able to "configure"/turn on security, etc for the wireless connection, with the router connected to the G4 desktop with no wireless capability/not even Airport software?

You folks have been so helpful! Again thanks, in advance.

Once I've got this straight, I'll go shopping for my wide range router...
(Imagined that maybe I'd need a router with something like "2 ports", or some sort of switch or something - to serve both a wired and a wireless connection.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you have a handle on it. As for the wired connection and wireless connection interfering with each other - not a problem. Your G4 will keep on working as before with its ethernet connection.

Turning on security for the wireless connection is very easy. Since the G4 will be connected via ethernet you can access the router menu from the G4 and turn on security for the MacBook wireless connection without having to do it from the MacBook. You will of course, have to properly configure the airport settings for the MacBook which should be easy.

Most good routers will not only have a wireless capability, but also three or more outputs for wired connections. Don't forget though, you need a router with extended range. Expect to pay a bit more. Take a look at the latest D-Link models if you get a chance.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.