DMGs not mounting "codec overrun"

Reaction score
i posted on another site looking for help, but am getting no response, so hopefully someone here can help me.

i have an external 1TB drive that i use to backup applications in case something bad happens or i want to share it with my friends. on the drive there are folders and dmg's galore all nicely organized, but recently, many of the dmgs will fail to mount and it says codec overrun. i dunno what that means, but i DO know that at one point, they ALL worked. some will still mount from the external when i double click, others only mount if i drag and copy them to the desktop, and some of them wont mount at all. does anyone know what could cause this and how i can fix this. its all over 200 gigs and i dont want to go through the trouble of getting them all again. ive heard that dmgs should be zipped to be safe(?) and most, if not all, of mine arent. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

if it matters at all, the external is ntfs and im using paragon to write to it. also, im running 10.5.7.

i just downloaded a dmg online for an animation program ad it mounted fine. i used cleanapp to delete the app and tried to re-mount the dmg and it failed! wahts going on!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree with lifeisabeach. Something is corrupting the images and Paragon sounds like a plausible culprit. My question is why are you storing lots of Mac data on an NTFS formatted drive?

OP
Y
Reaction score
well, i had paragon 6.0...tried reinstlling it and got the same thing. tried uninstalling it, and still got the same thing. my question is why would a newly dl'ed dmg that never touched the external mount 1 time and and not a second? the reason i have my drive as ntsc is because i also have windows program setup files on there in case i need windows to read it as well. so bottom line.....are these non-mounting dmgs on my external corrupt now. they all verify fine with disk utility. i also did repair permissions of my startup disk. thanks for your responses...any other ideas would be great.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You would be better with FAT - it will make read/write by both OSes much easier (unless you have files > 4GB) as both have native support for FAT32 (rw).

Do you happen to have a Netgear router? If so, read through this.

OP
Y
Reaction score
i wouldve put it as fat, but as you said...files over 4 gigs. i have cs4 master collection and the dmg is over 6g. as for the router, i dont have a netgear one. ok...heres the actual story. had a 1TB external for back up progs and apps for osx and windows as well as a separate folder for backups of game iso's and whatnot. 1TB wasnt enough, so i bought another 1TB and made one drive for just software (apps and progs) and the other for games. both are ntfs (for files over 4 gigs). the apps and progs folder was smaller than the games folder, so i did a drag and drop of the apps folder from the old drive to the new and then deleted it from the old one. is it possible for dmgs to get damaged while being copied? and if thats the case, would the originals still be intact if i used a recovery tool like file salvage on the original 1TB? i really appreciate all the feedback from this forum. please keep the ideas coming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
well, i had paragon 6.0...tried reinstlling it and got the same thing. tried uninstalling it, and still got the same thing. my question is why would a newly dl'ed dmg that never touched the external mount 1 time and and not a second? the reason i have my drive as ntsc is because i also have windows program setup files on there in case i need windows to read it as well. so bottom line.....are these non-mounting dmgs on my external corrupt now. they all verify fine with disk utility. i also did repair permissions of my startup disk. thanks for your responses...any other ideas would be great.

If all you did was reinstall what you had already, then of course you are still having trouble. Did you update it? If not, here's the latest update for 6.0.
Knowledge Base

And there's a version 7.0 out now.

And get rid of MacFUSE.... it's not necessary. For all we know, it may be part of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.