Partition an External with information still on it...?

Reaction score
Is it possible to partition an external hard drive when there are still files on it? I'm on a 15"MBP OSX10.4 and I'm using a 500gb WD mybook studio edition.

My mac has been running a bit iffy lately and I wanted to back it up but don't have enough money right now for another external. I already have about 300gb on it and wanna try to split it into 350/150.

If it is possible can anyone give me directions or point me to a site where I can figure it out?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is possible with Disk Utility IF there's enough free contiguous space to create another partition. Since you already have 300 GB on that external, I rather doubt you can do it. What format are you using on the external drive?

If it's formatted as FAT-32 rather than HFS+, you can use the free GParted Linux utility to non-destructively create another partition.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.