Uninstalling Windows XP- Keep the activation key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
I currently have Windows XP Pro installed in VirtualBox, and I've decided to go ahead and switch to bootcamp because I hear its better for games and overall performance.

My question is how do I uninstall XP from virtualbox and then install it on bootcamp without losing my activation key? I lost my last key and had to buy a new one last time I switched from bootcamp to parallels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
There are a few product's out there that can tell you the CDKEY, but there not exactly legal.

One thing that I have done in the past many of times is call MS once you get Windows installed via Bootcamp, and tell them you have a complete hardware failure. They will give you a new key.

Also keep in mind, each CDKEY will let you install it and use it upto 3 computers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are a few product's out there that can tell you the CDKEY, but there not exactly legal.

Key finder programs are perfectly legal and actually have been recommended by Microsoft when trying to determine which key goes with what computer in a multiple PC work environment.

One thing that I have done in the past many of times is call MS once you get Windows installed via Bootcamp, and tell them you have a complete hardware failure. They will give you a new key.

What you're suggesting is not ethical and probably not in accordance with the MS EULA. I think what you should say here is that when hardware is changed the activation wizard kicks in. MS in this instance may at their discretion issue a new key or a new series of alpha numeric code which provides a new activation.

Also keep in mind, each CDKEY will let you install it and use it upto 3 computers.

Not unless you're Bill Gates' brother! One activation key (product key) is good for only one machine. The only time MS lets you install anything that needs activation on three computers refers to the MS boxed version of Office.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I currently have Windows XP Pro installed in VirtualBox, and I've decided to go ahead and switch to bootcamp because I hear its better for games and overall performance.

My question is how do I uninstall XP from virtualbox and then install it on bootcamp without losing my activation key? I lost my last key and had to buy a new one last time I switched from bootcamp to parallels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

How long did you use XP Pro in VirtualBox? If it was for more than 90 days it may not be necessary to call MS and request another activation. If it was less than 90 days and the activation from Boot Camp will not automatically go through the internet auto process, then give MS a call and request a new activation because of a hardware change. (which is in fact true)

There should be no need to have to purchase another product key. As long as you deal with MS in an ethical way they will usually be very generous in issuing another activation.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not unless you're Bill Gates' brother! One activation key (product key) is good for only one machine.
Unless it's VLA ;).

How long did you use XP Pro in VirtualBox? If it was for more than 90 days it may not be necessary to call MS and request another activation. If it was less than 90 days and the activation from Boot Camp will not automatically go through the internet auto process, then give MS a call and request a new activation because of a hardware change. (which is in fact true)

There should be no need to have to purchase another product key. As long as you deal with MS in an ethical way they will usually be very generous in issuing another activation.

Regards.
Agreed. You don't need to buy a new key to reinstall Windows. That would be draconian. You may not actually have any problems activating Windows under BC - I have seen and experienced problems and successes with Windows re-installs with the same key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.