New Macbook Pro - I Need Advice

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm in the process of purchasing a new MacBook Pro 17-inch. I'll mainly be using it for writing but as I work in TV I'll also be using it with Final Cut Studio and some animation programs as well. I've been around so many different posts in here and other forums that my head's starting to spin with the different opinions going around.

So here's what I'm THINKING of getting:

2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128 Solid State drive

Now I've read that the extra processor helps with the speeds when video rendering but is it really worth it? And I'm tempted to go with the solid state drive because I do find myself out on location at times and it will get bounced aroundevery now and then.

I was thinking of going for the 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm but I've heard so many good things about the solid state drives that I'm kind of swing that way now. Later I may upgrade the RAM but that's a pretty straightforward job when I eventually decide to do it.

Any advice would be warmly recieved...

320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That's a very high spec machine, and with the solid state drive you really can't go too far wrong there. It's easily up to the job you want it for.

OP
T
Reaction score
But is the extra processor worth it or should I just go with the 2.66 GHZ one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sorry, missed the point a bit there!
I'd say if you were doing a lot of animation and Final Cut work then yes, more especially if you're dealing with HD, but if it's not your main use (which I'm guessing not) then it may be overkill. Saying that, what's the price difference?
If it's a matter of a few pounds than I'd go for the faster machine, if it's £100 or more than maybe not.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great thanks for that much appreciated price difference isn't that much so may just go the whole way...

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I don't think a 128 SSD will be enough. When working in high definition OSX will use rather large page files. Sometimes as big as 16GBs. Remove the space OSX, final cut and the raw footage then that doesn't leave you with a lot of space for much else.

The higher processor will help with processing times and it is worth the cash if you have the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
One thing to think about when wanting to go with SSD drives, they tend to be slower on the seeking and transfer rates, in comparison to a 7200rpm drive.

Personally I would go with the 320GB drive, based on the fact you want to edit HD video. I do some video editing on my MBP with FCS, and the files do get a little on the large side. 128GB won't get you very far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.