New Job: Mac or PC?

Reaction score
I have an '07 MacBook. I love it, but I'm getting a new computer soon. I am also starting a new job soon which will involve a lot of editing and creating presentations (Word + PowerPoint).

Because I'm working for a company that I know uses only PC's, I am tempted to get a PC so that, as far as working with their network, transferring files, etc., I will be compatible with them.

On the other hand, PCs suck! We all know this. That's why were on this site. I don't have Bootcamp now but I was thinking my second option is to get a mac with enough capabilities that I can have Mac OS + Windows and just go back and forth as I need.

I would love some input on this, especially from professionals working in a "PC" company but who have Macs. Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My take on your situation.

You can run Office on OSX and probably get the job done at work. Some say they have ran into some compatibility issues but so far I have not.

You can also run a copy of XP or Vista Via Bootcamp and use that for your work activities and then boot into OSX for everything else.

Then of course there is a PC Laptop which you said you really do not like.

I think Option #2 above would work fine for you and give you the best of both worlds. Option #1 might work also but I would be sure everything at work will be compatible with the OSX version of Microsoft Office.

I was also thinking Parallels or VM Ware Fusion but be sure the network works with the work network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Mac + VMWare Fusion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I run NeoOffice on my Mac and have had no compatibility issues whatsoever.

And it's free! :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you go the PC route don't pay a lot. If possible see if your job will pay for it.

Reaction score
If you go the PC route don't pay a lot. If possible see if your job will pay for it.

The problem with not paying a lot for a PC laptop, is that you will probably get an unbelievably tinkertoy plastic piece of junk. Hopefully, your job will pay for one and you can at least get a fairly decent system than will at least last a year or so.

Otherwise, I would buy a Macbook and just run it in PC mode. If your new employer's IT person is a pro, they won't care as long as you can get the job done. If they are one of those paper certificate "Systum Expurts", then they will probably buy a line like "Didn't you read where Apple is moving to Windows?"

Konan

Reaction score
My company uses only PC's. Luckly I have an HP Laptop (which I hate it randomly reboots itself) that they gave me. We get new ones every 3 years. I have an iMac at home with boot camp on it running Win 7. So far I have booted up windows 2 times, mostly just to play with stuff. I find so far I can get everything done on the Mac that I need for work as well. I am running Office 08 and so far have not had any compatibility problems with Word, Excel or Powerpoint.

If you really like the Mac I would get one and either Parallels or run bootcamp.

That way you can have both in one box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
macmacmacmacmacmac!!!!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have an '07 MacBook. I love it, but I'm getting a new computer soon. I am also starting a new job soon which will involve a lot of editing and creating presentations (Word + PowerPoint).

Because I'm working for a company that I know uses only PC's, I am tempted to get a PC so that, as far as working with their network, transferring files, etc., I will be compatible with them.

On the other hand, PCs suck! We all know this. That's why were on this site. I don't have Bootcamp now but I was thinking my second option is to get a mac with enough capabilities that I can have Mac OS + Windows and just go back and forth as I need.

I would love some input on this, especially from professionals working in a "PC" company but who have Macs. Thanks!

Your MacBook *is* a PC. From a hardware standpoint, there are almost no significant differences. The primary difference is in the operating system.

If it turns out that your company requires Windows and Windows-only software, simply install it via Boot Camp and you have the best of both worlds.

It's really that simple.

Reaction score
question-

If I were to run and install windows via bootcamp on my macbook, am i able to simply just delete the windows partion no questions asked? If so, is it easy to do, or is it complicated?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm gonna say it's complicated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.