Right earbud louder than left?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20in 2gb Ram.Macbook Pro 15in 2GB RAM
So about 6 months ago, I bought an iPod Touch 2g 16GB. It worked fine and i didnt really listen to much music through ear phones until now because I'm travelling more for sports. My left earbud seems to be really soft when i play a song and my right really loud. I can still hear my left but their is a huge difference.

I had an iPod Video before and It seemed fine before. I've tried 3 different pairs of earphones and tried my brother's new ipod nano he got. Even though the right one is louder on his too, it seems to be almost an equal balance. Is something wrong or is it normal?

Also my battery seems to run out really fast. (1-3 hours when playing games when it says its supposed to be 5-6)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Put the left earbud in your right ear and right earbud in left ear and see if the difference is consistent. Perhaps your hearing is off. I have some tone loss myself in one ear, though I'm not conscious of it unless I'm talking on a handset and shift sides.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put the left earbud in your right ear and right earbud in left ear and see if the difference is consistent. Perhaps your hearing is off. I have some tone loss myself in one ear, though I'm not conscious of it unless I'm talking on a handset and shift sides.

I tried that and it's pretty much the same. So I don't think its a hearing thing. I hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I tried that and it's pretty much the same. So I don't think its a hearing thing. I hope.

What do you mean by "pretty much the same"? If swapping sides still results in greater volume in your right ear, then it is your hearing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Your headphones could be messing up. If you swap sides like lifeisabeach suggested and can still hear the difference then contact Apple. They will send you a replacement headset free of charge.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so i just got 2 new headphones from SkullCandy. When i plug them into my computer and listen to a song, i can easily tell that the music is evenly distributed between both sides. When I plug it into my iPod its mostly right and not left. Should I send it in? Is it covered by warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Should I send it in? Is it covered by warranty?

Well you said you purchased it six months ago. So yes it is still under warranty.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just went thru the same thing - left earbud volume quite reduced from the right. I thought I had an ear infection until I accidentally put them in the wrong ear after a couple of weeks of living with it. :Oops:

Reaction score
same problem in 2010

I got my iTouch in the Fall of 2009. It's a year later, and just recently I noticed that the sound out of the left bud was much, much softer than the right bud. It's not an issue with the headphones. Is there any way to tweak the sound balance on the iTouch? I couldn't find anything through the iTouch interface, nor iTunes. Could the problem really not have been resolved by now? My iTouch software is also up to date.

Reaction score
I got my iTouch in the Fall of 2009. It's a year later, and just recently I noticed that the sound out of the left bud was much, much softer than the right bud. It's not an issue with the headphones. Is there any way to tweak the sound balance on the iTouch? I couldn't find anything through the iTouch interface, nor iTunes. Could the problem really not have been resolved by now? My iTouch software is also up to date.

Holy necrothread!

Have you tried a different set of earbuds?

Mine had that issue with its original headphones. I've used countless other brands (JVC Gumi, Philips, Sony, and then back to Philips), and noticed that third-party isn't affected as much as Apple's standard "sound-leakers".

Since you've tried that…

I would say it could very likely be the audio jack on the device. I've carefully cleaned mine out on occasion and noticed the difference subsidize.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.