internet will stop working randomly

Reaction score
I've had a re-occuring problem with my aluminum 13 inch Macbook. It is the only Mac computer in the house. Randomly, my Mac's internet will stop working. Usually, I only have to reset my router and sometimes wait a few hours before it works again. I tried resetting my router but it still doesn't work. Oddly, my PC computer's internet works fine. It is not a laptop, but it is using wireless internet (I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it). Currently, my mac's internet has been down for about 2 days. This is the longest it has ever been down. My Mac iPod touch and my brother's iPod touch can't connect to the internet either. I'm thinking this must be a problem with Mac's, because my PC internet is working fine. I've tried googling what to do in this situation, but myself being not so good with technical terms, I've had a lot of trouble understanding what people are saying to do. If anyone knows what I should do in this situation, please respond quick! I need my laptop on a day to day basis because the PC is my brothers and he is usually doing work on it, so I am unable to use it. I need the internet for so many reasons. This has been so frustrating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try a new router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
restart your mac and router at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So who set up the PC for the internet and who set up the Mac - Does the mac work OK if you turn on the router and turn on the Mac without booting the PC - what happens then?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think the information you gave us is enough to help you.

You never listed what router you are using and what kind of network you are trying to connect to via your Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
Have you checked for any Software Updates for the Airport inside your Mac?

Some of the older Airport drivers had some issues with Wifi intermittent dropouts.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm using the Verizon Fios router, model no. M1424WR. And most of the time my PC and Mac have been able to run togethor fine. And I can't check for software updates because I'm not connected to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm using the Verizon Fios router, model no. M1424WR. And most of the time my PC and Mac have been able to run togethor fine. And I can't check for software updates because I'm not connected to the internet.

I did some Googling, and it seems that the Verizon Fios router doesn't play well with Macs. I would call Verizon about the matter and see what they can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have that same router, a Verizon FIOS M1424WR, three Macs and an iPhone in the house, and have had no problems other than when the router goes wonky and needs to be reset. I know the router needs to be reset because a red light turns on on the fiber equipment. Happens very rarely and otherwise WiFi is flawless on all four devices. Had it for more than a year now. In my experience those routers work fine with Macs (and my one work-supplied PC.)

Something be not right with your particular router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moved to Networking forum

Reaction score
I too, am having a similar problem. My daughter has a white mac book whose airport connection is intermittent at best. The connection is permanently dropping in and out. I have had to connect via the Ethernet (to the same modem) where the connection is excellent.
I have 2 windows machines and a 2nd white mac book, all of which have a wireless connection to the same modem, and have no problems connecting. I have a Draytek 3800vg. I've updated the firmware. I removed all security settings and bindings from the router, just to see if it made a difference, but it did not.
The 2 mac books, are school computers. I have no administration rights. I have had replacement mac books from the school from time to time, all of which connect with out problems.
Here's the kicker! The problem mac book connects fine at school. The school IT department are dumbfounded.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Same wireless connection problem - Time Capsule solution

I have had problems with my new MacBook staying connected to our 2wire router for months. My husband and sons have pcs and don't want to change anything. I have an old eMac and a 1st gen iPod touch that stay connected wirelessly all the time to the 2wire; but the MacBook, i have to constantly reconnect or at least start to reconnect before the signal momentarily comes in (what works is to click on Airport strength symbol, then choose Join Other Network, then Show Networks, then highlight the 2wire, then the signal comes in). It's like a wave coming in, then it's gone. I can follow the signal strength when I'm importing mail, so I can see what is happening. The strong connection lasts for a few seconds, then it's nearly gone - very frustrating.

I recently got an iPhone 3G. Same problem. It won't stay connected either, and I haven't figured out a bypass connection route like I did with the MacBook, so it is hit and miss. Remember, my 1st gen iPod touch has no such problem.

Talked to Apple experts at the genius bar. They don't really understand it either. New Apple stuff should be backwards compatible with older routers.

Finally solved problem - bought Time Capsule, plugged it into 2wire, used bridge set-up. So we have two wireless devices and can choose which one to connect to. No interference problems yet. Husband is happy, I am very happy. MacBook and iPhone stay connected to new router (time capsule) all the time. Had to choose it as my first router in network preferences list, so that it would connect to time capsule router preferentially to 2wire.

Still don't understand why 2wire won't stay connected to newer Apple products - but frustration is over until the next thing comes along.

Thought just occured to me. I had to install a newer version of airport utility (version 5.4.1) to set up Time Capsule. Maybe 2wire would have worked ok had I just installed newer airport utility. Expert advice out there? I am definitely a novice.

Obviously, my problem is not unique. Maybe Apple should investigate?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.