• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem playing HD movies from Mac pro

Reaction score
I have attached my Mac Pro 2008 to a HDTV using DVI. I am playing .mkv files at either 720p or 1080p. No matter what program (VLC, Flip4Mac, Miro or DivX) I use to play these files, I always get intermittent horizontal lines on my HD Screen. I can play these files with no problem on my computer screen.
Why won't my HDTV play these files cleanly?
Thank you
Corey

Reaction score
There may be a few issues... firstly, not all HDTVs are meant to display computer-based images just because they have a DVI port. Those DVI's are the first-gen HD ports, which was dropped in favor of HDMI. The ports were meant mainly for cable set-top boxes or Tivo-type boxes to display HD content in NTSC. Your Macbook Pro DVI is probably DVI-I and so is your TV probably. The specs for your TV DVI-I are probably RGB, so it needs a device that sends its color-space signal in RGB. The biggest problem comes with not all HDTV's w/DVI being able to work as a monitor - they can not handle the different refresh rates that a computer DVI sends out. In particular one HDTV I own that has a DVI port is a Sony 30" HDTV CRT-based TV with the super fine pitch screen. The manual clearly states it can not be used as a monitor - only as a TV with proper HD signal equipment.

If I knew your model HDTV - I could find out the specs... but dollars to doughnuts, it is not meant to be a HD monitor like most LCDs lately.

Nate

Reaction score
One other lil tidbit... if your HDTV can be used as a monitor (LCD HDTV) - then you have to set your display card resolution to match your HDTV native resolution or you will not get the best results (example: 1366x768 = 720p). My son uses a Westinghouse 32" HDTV as his computer monitor and gaming screen. This HDTV has a VGA input port - this mates perfectly from the computer because it is the standard for computers... He jus uses a DVI to VGA cable and the TV and computer resolve all the refresh issues. Technically his TV is a LCD HD monitor with a TV card soldered onto the motherboard and not a pure HDTV like some others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.