User Accounts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz, 4GB Ram, 1 TB HD, OS X 1.6.3
I have a question about User Accounts... How separate are they? In Windows there were many things you could do to affect another user - like uninstalling software. My partner and I are planning to buy the super expensive iMac and share. We both have our own MobileMe accounts. I need to know that we can have our separate user accounts sync with our separate MobileMe accounts. If we install Entorage, will we be able to have separate instances of the software for each of us? Or will we have to share? Will our VMWare Fusion have separate settings for each of our user accounts? I appreciate any help.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Hi There,

Congratulations on making the switch! In Mac OSX separate user accounts have their own setting for MobileMe, Entourage and VMWare Fusion - so you and your wife will be able to have totally separate identities.

Hope that helps! If you need anything else, give me a shout.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for your help!

Sean

P.S.

I have one more question that I assume will get the same answer. We have separate iTunes accounts. That will also not be a problem, correct? I'd rather not mix them on the same iTunes software. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Yep - iTunes accounts are separate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Accounts basically separate everything. However, it's easy to share files back and forth if you need to.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, I assume this is possible, I just would like a confirmation. If we have separate user accounts on one Mac now, if we were to purchase another Mac in the future, would it be "Time Machine simple" to transfer just one user account to the second Mac?

Sean

Reaction score
Again, I assume this is possible, I just would like a confirmation. If we have separate user accounts on one Mac now, if we were to purchase another Mac in the future, would it be "Time Machine simple" to transfer just one user account to the second Mac?
Yes, it would be simple. When you setup the new Mac, it will ask if you want to transfer your files from another Mac. You'll be able to select which account you want to copy over.

Reaction score
I have a question about User Accounts... How separate are they? In Windows there were many things you could do to affect another user - like uninstalling software. My partner and I are planning to buy the super expensive iMac and share. We both have our own MobileMe accounts. I need to know that we can have our separate user accounts sync with our separate MobileMe accounts. If we install Entorage, will we be able to have separate instances of the software for each of us? Or will we have to share? Will our VMWare Fusion have separate settings for each of our user accounts? I appreciate any help.

Sean
A lot depends on how the user accounts are set up. You can assign Administrator privileges to both accounts, or just one. Installing and uninstalling software is limited to accounts that have Administrator privileges, but any account can run software that is installed on the system.

You and your partner need to reach an agreement about who will have an Admin account. If you both do, then you will have to keep each other informed about what you are doing or are about to do.

Reaction score
I recommend that you setup three accounts. An administrative one and two standard ones - one for you and one for your partner. Use the administrative one when you need to do some system configuration, installations or updates. For day-to-day use, your standard accounts will be all you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Installing and uninstalling software is limited to accounts that have Administrator privileges, but any account can run software that is installed on the system.

That's not completely true. Any account can install software, but it requires an administrator password. If someone else will be wanting to install stuff, you can enter the password when needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.