Restoring my iMac after a HD replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I recently picked-up my iMac from the repair shop after a HD replacement and about to set it up. When I brought it in for servicing, I bought a Mac Mini (1.83MGz) as a back-up unit and I would like to migrate my preferences and applications from the Mini to the iMac.

Both units run on Leopard so I was considering doing the following:

- Connect the 2 units via a firewire cable and use the migration utility,
- Install the recent upgrades on the iMac,
- Run the repair permissions utility (as I always do after major upgrades)

Would this be the proper procedure or is there a better way of doing this?

Also, the iMac came with OS-X 10.4 and 2 weeks later, I sent in for the 10.5 upgrade disk but the Mini has the original OEM 10.5 disks, can they be used on the iMac if ever I need to do a complete OS install?

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes... using the Migration Assistant is the best way to go about it. And no, you cannot use the OEM disks on the iMac... they are each specific to the model they came with.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Yes... using the Migration Assistant is the best way to go about it.

Thanks for the info Life.

Also, when using the migration assistant, does it "migrate" everything, overwriting the default Apple applications (front row, etc.) or simply the apps that aren't on the host machine?

And no, you cannot use the OEM disks on the iMac... they are each specific to the model they came with.

I kind of suspected as much and considering the price of Macs, Apple should include a retail version of the operating system with every new unit, IMO, no skin off their butts.

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info Life.

Also, when using the migration assistant, does it "migrate" everything, overwriting the default Apple applications (front row, etc.) or simply the apps that aren't on the host machine?

You can choose to migrate apps or not. I can't say if it will or won't import the default Apple apps. I suspect it's smart enough to know not to overwrite newer versions.

I kind of suspected as much and considering the price of Macs, Apple should include a retail version of the operating system with every new unit, IMO, no skin off their butts.
I don't see why they should. You are only entitled to install it on the machine it came with... it's effectively a one-license purchase. If you bought a retail version, you are only entitled to install it on one machine (unless you paid for a family pack). So effectively there's no difference.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can choose to migrate apps or not. I can't say if it will or won't import the default Apple apps. I suspect it's smart enough to know not to overwrite newer versions.

Thanks Life and I'll find out soon enough, I plan on doing this on Saturday.

And no, you cannot use the OEM disks on the iMac... they are each specific to the model they came with.

I understand your point but according to a user from another Mac forum, there is a workaround:

You can install the mini disks only on a mini of that series.

HOWEVER, if you boot the iMac into Firewire target disk mode (by holding the "T" key on startup) and hook that up to the mini, the mini will treat it as just an external drive, and the Install disks will install as they would onto any other connected external drive.

Both my Leopard versions are legal, the only difference is that the Tiger to Leopard upgrade disk is 10.5.0 whereas the Mini's is 10.5.4.

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both my Leopard versions are legal, the only difference is that the Tiger to Leopard upgrade disk is 10.5.0 whereas the Mini's is 10.5.4.

If you have a version of Leopard for each machine, then I don't really understand what the problem is. You do know you can update 10.5.0 up to the latest version, 10.5.7, after installation, do you?

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a version of Leopard for each machine, then I don't really understand what the problem is. You do know you can update 10.5.0 up to the latest version, 10.5.7, after installation, do you?

Yup, I'm quite familiar with upgrades, been doing them since I bought my first iMac (white 17"). When I brought the 24" for repairs, the technician requested I also bring in it's original 10.4 disks plus the Leopard upgrade and according to him, the upgrade disk is damaged and the superdrive couldn't read it so he had to resort to using one of the 10.5.6 copies they keep at the shop for such emergencies.

Cheers,
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.