Turn Off G3 Internal Monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 8 GB Ram running Mac OS X Lion 10.7
Hi,
I have connected a flat screen monitor to my G3's VGA port, it is mirroring fine but how can I get the internal G3 monitor to turn off and only use the flat screen monitor?
I have tried putting the setting in Energy Saver down to 1 minute but that also makes the flat screen monitor show nothing as well.

Many thanks

p.s I see in ColorSync Utility > Devices > Displays, you can pick which display to use as default, but the monitor plugged into the VGA port is not listed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If it is like the earlier iMacs then inside the case the internal monitor is connected to the motherboard with a standard VGA port.

Disconnect that and you can disable the iMacs own display

OP
willwinuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 8 GB Ram running Mac OS X Lion 10.7
Would it boot up using external VGA ok?

How easy is it opening a G3 and finding it?

OP
willwinuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may try that if there is no software way around it.

Why does ColorSync not show the external display?

Reaction score
Louishen is right on ...disconnect the video cable. On a slot load Imac, You have to take the top of the case off and thats not easy. The video cable connects to the motherboard. Problem is the power suppy for the monitor will still be on. Never touch the high voltage lead on the back of the picture tube.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.