ohh crap we have a Time capsule

Reaction score
So we bought a mac for the first time about 6 months to a year ago. Along with it we bought a time capsule to backup to. We also were having trouble with our wireless router so we figured it would work for that as well. our house is right next door to our business. we have a big fast network over there and have a cable that brings that fast internet over to our house. I pluged the time capsule into that cable and ran a cable from the TC to my Mac. I had no trouble finding or setting up the TC as a router. But no internet. so I looked online and everyone says that you might have to set it up like 10 times before it just decides to work. so I reset it and re set it up. nada. so we have an IT guy try his hand at it. after about 5 hours he finally makes it work. so it has been working for about 6 months to a year. My boss decides that all the company info needs to be backed up to someplace outside the business specifically the TC. but the time capsule is not visible on any of our 6 or more windows computers at the office. or at home for that matter. all we have is a router with no drive (except on the mac. Time machine was working fine). So I Decide to reset the TC and try again. I haven't had the ability to get on the internet through it since. I have tried several times to reset and reboot and re set up but it never works. and I still cant see it on my windows network.

any ideas or am I an Isolated incident?

thanks and sorry I was a little long winded.

Daniel

OP
G
Reaction score
new update

It says that My WAN cable is unplugged. yet the same cable I am using right now plugged directly in to the Mac (I can get internet this way) Is what I have plugged into the TC. yet it doesn't recognize it. Hmmm. why did we buy this?????

OP
G
Reaction score
Duh I am on an extended network you don't plug your cat5 into the WAN port you connect it to the Ethernet port. Didnt quite realize the difference there. now I Have internet!!

thanks guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Wow! Thats some real 'helping-oneself' I have seen in quite sometime.

BTW can you use TC as Time Machine for your Mac and as a NAS for other computers simultaenously?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Your PC'S wont read a mac drive without something like this :

Mediafour | MacDrive

Hope this helps
Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would use the TC for Time Machine and purchase a network drive for everything else something like a WD World Book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.