problematic powerbook G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
My friend just had her PowerBook G4 die (1.33ghz, but that's irrelevant).

She described her problem as, "it boots as normal until it gets to the part where it would load my desktop, then just hangs."

She needs a few files off of her computer, but I feel like if her computer boots that far, it probably isn't dead.

So, if somebody agrees with me, could we get an instruction set on how to boot into single user mode and try to repair her file structure or whatever may be preventing the full boot? Or could she target it from her iMac and repair it that way? She's an editor so she has lots of cables.

She followed Apple's instructions to boot into target disk mode, and she says the host iMac doesn't see anything about the PB.

Thanks!

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which tunes? The ones I wrote and linked in the recording forum? Also, thanks for the help. I'm going to see if she can archive and install, if that doesn't work, then i'll try fsck!

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yes, I see you're a fan of my extreme doom/black metal XD haha. Sweet.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here you are: Single User Mode

As for repairing some things from the command line, go through the man page for diskutil and take a look at what you can do (in other words, execute "man diskutil" at the command line sans quotes). Or, if you would prefer, read it here. So, for example, if you wanted to verify the pemissions, you would execute the following:
Code:
diskutil verifyPermissions /
(the / at the end is the root directory, or in other words, the entire computer).

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help. fsck -fy ended up working, so woohoo! a powerbook assumed dead since october now works flawlessly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Coooooooooooool!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.