Bought a used mini and have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought a used mini with the 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo (T2300) processor. He didn't have an original install disk of any OS for me, but gave me a burned copy of OS X leapard 10.5 on a dual layer disc.
I want to upgrade the hard drive and figured on putting in the leapard too. I am worried that it might not install from the disk. How can I check to see if it will install from this disc?

I haven't owned a mac in more than 10 years so I'm sorry for the stupid question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Why not try installing? Isnt that simple?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A Burned Copy of Leopard is against Apples EULA and is also a pirated copy of 10.5. Due to both those reasons it's against the rules here at Mac Forums to discuss.

You should always demand the OSX DVD that came with the Mac when you purchase it.

Go out and purchase a Retail copy of 10.5 Leopard. It will install just fine.

Reaction score
A Burned Copy of Leopard is against Apples EULA and is also a pirated copy of 10.5. Due to both those reasons it's against the rules here at Mac Forums to discuss.

You should always demand the OSX DVD that came with the Mac when you purchase it.

Go out and purchase a Retail copy of 10.5 Leopard. It will install just fine.
A burned copy is not a EULA violation all by itself. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act allows copy of media for backup purposes. The physical disk belongs to the purchaser and can copy, deface or destroy to the hearts content.

A mac mini came with a license. The fact that the disk is a copy doesn't negate that. Its up to the copyright holder to challenge the burned copy. I doubt that will ever happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
But i that case the original disk should have been included with the burned copy regardless of whether it was readable. Seems to me that would satisfy the EUL. Apart from that the 1.66 came out with Tiger as i recall.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What you are saying is against the rules here. I will not say it again. A Mini comes with a DVD of probably Tiger in the OP's case that is made for that machine or a mini with the same specs. It will not install on any other Mac of different specs.

You can not take your Leopard DVD and make a copy and give it to someone else. Just because Apple does not use Product Activation does not make it legal. You say Apple will never know or challenge but it's still against the rules and because of that will not be allowed to be discussed here.

I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.