boot failure

Reaction score
I have an intel iMac that will not boot. The light stays on for about 10 seconds and then goes off once the fans will not start. I have replaced the power supply and the logic board twice. I've also swapped parts from a good machine, including fans and cables and get the same result. Totally baffled, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you zapped PRAM and reset NVRAM since changing parts?
Have you tried running Disc Utility from the install disc?
Both worth trying before we go further.

OP
M
Reaction score
zapping

Unfortunately I can't even get to that point. The machine shuts down within seconds of power-on. It never comes even close to post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ahh ok. Nightmare. It really points to a power supply problem, but if you've changed it, you should be good to go there.
Not sure what else to suggest at present, sorry.
I'm sure one of the repairers here may be able to help a bit.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks

It is the strangest thing. I took a good power supply and logic board from another iMac and it still died. I think it's possessed but if anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes me wonder if there's not a dodgy circuit elsewhere that's frying the power supply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.