What to buy - black used or white refurbished?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here so don't flame me if this has been asked before, haha. I've been wanting to get a macbook so I can start developing iPhone applications for an internship I have going on this summer. I'm kind of stuck in a dilemma and was wondering what my best bet would be.

I bought, from the Apple store, a White Refurbished MacBook that has the following specs:

2.0 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR2 Memory
160GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Standard keyboard
White polycarbonate shell

and I got it for $849 (not including tax which ended up being around $920). The product is being shipped as we speak.

However, before I went to the Apple Store online, a few days ago I had replied to an offer on craigslist about a Black MacBook that was on sale for an incredible $420. It came with everything that the white macbook has execpt with a 2.2 GHz processor. He stated that he also had AppleCare Warranty which he would transfer to me which expires in 2011, and it came with additional software that I would have to buy, such as iLife, Office, and Adobe CS3. This is an amazing deal and he has sent me pictures to prove that what he has is legit, but I don't know if I should go for it. Should I still keep Apple's refurbished white macbook, or return it and get a cheaper, used black macbook? I want to lean towards the black one but I just want to get some opinions first before I make my choice.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The black MacBook sounds too good to be true and since it's being sold on Craig's List, I would use extreme caution. Before you are tempted to buy it, ask him for the serial number of the machine. Then check that serial number with Apple to see if it was reported stolen.

Even if it wasn't stolen it may have been doused with water or another liquid at some time or other. (which voids any repairs under warranty or Apple care) I hate to sound so pessimistic with this reply but buying anything off Craig's List is really a crap shoot lately. And that price is too low for a black MacBook.... :(

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. It seemed pretty legit with his pictures but I don't know. I will definitely ask him for the serial number though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.