app opening problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, 2017) MacOS v 10.13.3
Hi gang.
Hope this is the right place to pose this problem and hope for a solution!
Recently I have downloaded a couple of programs that give me the following problem.
I install them and when I go to open the app I get the pop-up window that informs me that the app closed suddenly and I have the option to report the problem or reopen.
Sometimes when I choose "reopen" the app does indeed open and sometimes I have to restart my computer to get the app to open.
I have tried repairing my permissions but that seems to have no effect.
Has anyone else had this problem or knows why it is happening?

I am running up-to-date Tiger on a MacBook.

Thanks for any help on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Which apps are affected? It may be that you need to redownload and install them.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply.

The two apps that were affected most recently were scriptwriting apps. But the strange thing is that once I get them to open, they then behave normally.

Two days ago I downloaded (twice) a little app called MacPilot that I was never able to open at all.

What I would like to understand is why this is happening at all. I switched to Mac a little over two years ago and never had this problem until recently. It is nothing compared to all the problems I had with my PC but I would sure like to understand where the problem lies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sometimes with apps you can download them but they aren't compatible with your particular version of the OS, and you don't find out until you try and open them, and you get this problem.
Obviously I don't know where you got it from, but I find Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker to be the best source for the most up to date versions.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for your interest.

I always use the software update on my computer to keep it updated. But will have a look at your suggestion. I think I have the latest updates in any case.

Maybe this is just another bug that I have discovered like the one in Preferences>Network that Apple does not seem interested in patching.

I bought and installed Leopard when it came out but did not like it and went back to Tiger. I have a lot of programs I like and use that are not Leopard compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My solution to that would be to download Appcleaner and remove the 2 apps and associated files that are giving intermittent problems, then download and install a fresh copy of the apps..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.