• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Zune HD Confirmed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
This is good compition in my opinion, however I think MS needs to work on their software before they start pumping out new hardware. I've had a 30GB Zune, and the software is backwards, clunky and slow, in fact it was so slow that my wife was getting mad at me for it! Needless to say, I bought her an iPod.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A friend of mine has the original 30GB Zune model, running the latest software and I must say, it's pretty cool. There's a lot of neat functionality, particularly in the music player that I wish the iPod had (at least the standard, non-touch iPods).

Let's just hope this gives Apple the incentive it needs to take a hard look at the non iPhone OS models and continue to refine the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I won't take away some of the stuff they had in the software, as I liked some of it as well. It might have had to do with all my music (50GB or so) being stored on a network share that made it slow, but being on a Gigabyte network, that shouldn't have been a problem.

It is nice that it has a OLED screen, and what looks to be a possible removable battery, and the ability to work with a Xbox360.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Let's just hope this gives Apple the incentive it needs to take a hard look at the non iPhone OS models and continue to refine the software.
I wonder though if Apple will care given the overwhelming hegemony that they enjoy over the PMP market and the continued bad reviews that the Zune keeps getting. I don't see Apple being too concerned as long as the "magical marketing machine" at Apple continues to position the iPod as the "hip, cool PMP". That said, a little competition never hurt anyone.

Truthfully, I would rather Apple fix this Java issue first ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Microsoft seriously needs to get its software to work with OS X. It'll be a good way to get a good number of iPod users to change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
While I hope the competition hots up, it just looks like Microsoft playing catch-up, and again announcing a product too far ahead of the ship date while having nothing truly innovative to show

But let's wait and see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Sure this Zune looks alright to me. And if priced right it might catch on to a few users. But for the reason why Apple is the better option for me is not the ipod itself. The way the itunes store, the itunes app and the ipod link so well together and how easy it is to get tracks from the itunes store or cd into the ipod is what wins me over.

Will the Zune have this easy link between CD's/it's own music store and the Zune? Sure it can do a million things according to the press release. But no one buys a mp3 player for it's video capabilities. They get it for the music and the east to listen to their music on it. If MS can win that front it has a chance, if not then I see a sad death for the product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I thought it was said the games were the most downloaded apps and that was
what spurred sales growth.

Reaction score
It is nice that it has a OLED screen, and what looks to be a possible removable battery, and the ability to work with a Xbox360.

Only useful if your 360 still works, which I'm guessing it won't...

xbox-360-rrod.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.