ibook: dead or in a coma?!?

W

whatigonnado

My ibook won't start! A few weeks ago it froze and I turned it off by holding down the power button. Pressed the power button and now nothing. Battery is full and power cord is in anyway. I figured it must be a problem with my power management unit so I reset it as instructed by Apple. However still nothing. No chime no flash nada. I figure ok let it go so I leave it for a few days and console myself with women and drinks. I come back and press the power button and hey presto! Everything is groovy again even when I had to restart few times. Jump to present and i had to power down by holding the power button again and now I'm back where I started with a non responsive ibook.
Does anybody know what's going on? Is there any way to avoid it happening again? Naturally I'm hoping it only needs a few days off again but this is not good!
:eek:neye:

OP
M

menace3054

whatigonnado said:
My ibook won't start! A few weeks ago it froze and I turned it off by holding down the power button. Pressed the power button and now nothing. Battery is full and power cord is in anyway. I figured it must be a problem with my power management unit so I reset it as instructed by Apple. However still nothing. No chime no flash nada. I figure ok let it go so I leave it for a few days and console myself with women and drinks. I come back and press the power button and hey presto! Everything is groovy again even when I had to restart few times. Jump to present and i had to power down by holding the power button again and now I'm back where I started with a non responsive ibook.
Does anybody know what's going on? Is there any way to avoid it happening again? Naturally I'm hoping it only needs a few days off again but this is not good!
:eek:neye:

a few days off isnt really a fix for any electronic.. my girlfriend had a similar problem with her ibook g4. it was because a fan broke and it kept overheating. it would turn off and then not turn back on for a while, it might be that. maybe you should wait until it works again, back you important files up, and reformat the hd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if a fan broke, reformatting your hard drive would not do anything. unplug it and remove the battery. re-insert the battery and try to turn on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
sounds like it could also be a logic board problem, did it freeze originally during a certain task or while any apps were open? have you added any ram recently? and when it started working again, and you said you had to shut it down manually a few times, why?

OP
M

menace3054

fearlessfreap24 said:
if a fan broke, reformatting your hard drive would not do anything. unplug it and remove the battery. re-insert the battery and try to turn on.

obviously not, what i meant to say was that it probably isnt the fan since he had to turn it off himself. he should reformat because it is probably something wrong with his system files or actual hd.

OP
C

crisrose

mine's done that twice - it's an overheating issue.

both times i had to pop the battery out to get it to turn back on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I had a similar problem once, but since then a PMU reset has fixed the problem...

When it's running, reboot and try the PMU keystroke again...

OP
S

sonofapplepm

I had the same problem with my iBook G3 900Mhz. An Apple tech said it was a logic board issue. I was told it would cost $450 just for the part. I was not willing to pay that amount at the time. When i got it back i just put it to sleep and never shut it down, this worked for me untill it started doing the things that qualified it for the logic board replacement campaign. I'm supposed to get it back tuesday. I hope that this has corrected the issues. I guess i'll see. Hope this helps you!!!

OP
W

whatigonnado

Thanks for all the responses. I've let the ibook sit for a few days and popped the battery out and tried the PMU reset but nothing has helped. I had origionally manually shut it down because it became unresponsive even to force quit. The curser moved but that's it and it never moved on from whatever action it was taking/not taking. I'm fairly sure it isn't a fan/ over heating issue since it was running fine up until I physically shut it down. It didn't shut down by itself. If its a logic board issue, isn't it strange that when this happend before, it started again after i left it alone for a while? I haven't added anything to the ibook but i did erase the HD and do a clean reinstall some months ago. Possibly related: My ibook also has the backlight issue wherein tilting the screen shuts the backlight off beyond a 90 degree angle.

Reaction score
That sounds horrible, like a loose wire inside. Have you ran the Apple hardware test CD yet, if you can get it to run that is !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.