Mac Compatable DVD-RW Drive

Reaction score
Hi everyone, really basic question here but will any (ie one from my PC) DVD-RW drive work in a G4 powermac (dual optical) or do I need a Mac specific one? If I need a specific one can anyone recommed one?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
You can use most types of external DVD drives with macs, but im not so sure about internal ones. Why dont you ask someone at apple, or check their website for info on dvd drives.

OP
R
Reaction score
Will do, cheers Mr Mac. Just thought I'd try getting away with taking one out of an old PC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Haha!! Imagine that!

I'm using an external one for my Mac, they work fine. I'm using FREECOM DVD Light scribe. They're discontinued now though. FREECOM aren't a company anymore. I just bought it off ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Any IDE DVD-RW will work fine in a G4 Power Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
For consistently reliable performance, and compatibility with your Mac, I recommend Pioneer brand. For your G4, I'd suggest the 115D or 116D. With your old one removed from the PC, I'd suggest connecting it 'bare' to your Mac via a USB2-IDE(ATA) adaptor, that way you have portability.

Reaction score
Hi Robbie,

I had to replace my Pioneer DVD-R drive from my PowerMac G5 Dual recently. It was simple, I went to Macsales and got the nice internal Samsung model to replace it. Myself, I would NOT buy another Pioneer drive, they used to be good, but I feel they lack speed, quality, and features. I've owned three Pioneer drive in the past and switched them all to Samsung as they broke down. Also, Samsung drives have received high reviews in recent years too and I can see why.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.