ISO mac app that's similar to WinISO

I

i2oadi2unnei2

I'm wondering if anyone out there that can edumacate me regarding on how to create CD image files ;) or what program you can recommend. I use a program called WinISO on a PC often and that program allows you to create/copy several different CD image file (I mostly make .ISO CD image files).

I got a friend that wants me to create exact CD copies of his old apps. I will be heading out of town for a while and I want to be able to do this on my PB. Does anyone know any program that is similar to WinISO and/or can direct me to a site?

TIA,

RR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
use disk utility. it comes as part of the os, its in utilities inside applications folder.
what are you trying to make? you can click image>new image>from folder, or whatever, if you need help, post.

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

Macman said:
use disk utility. it comes as part of the os, its in utilities inside applications folder.
what are you trying to make? you can click image>new image>from folder, or whatever, if you need help, post.

Looks like Disk Utility does what I need it to do, although it runs a tad slow ;) thanks for the info. As I've stated above, I'm trying to copy a CD (mostly apps), into an image file i.e. .ISO, .NRG, .IMG (windows) or .DMG (macs).

On a Windoze box, I use WinISO to copy a CD into a .ISO file, then use Nero to burn the image back onto a CD, essentially making an exact duplicate/copy of a CD app, game, etc.

Other than the Disk Utility, is there any app out there for Macs that does what WinISO and Nero do?

RR

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MacBurn the CD Burning Application does ISO's and images. Will check in a bit but I have burned images with it. It's $29 which is a lot less than Roxio.

Just checked, yes MacBurn will do ISO and DMG Images.

Here is a link that shows how with OSX Disc Utilities to convert a Mac DMG Image to an ISO using the terminal window.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830&query=dmg+to+iso

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

dtravis7 said:
MacBurn the CD Burning Application does ISO's and images. Will check in a bit but I have burned images with it. It's $29 which is a lot less than Roxio.

This seems to be the "one" I'm looking for, thanks! :cool: Btw, I'll check Roxio's site just for giggle and grins :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Roxio Toast is a great program but the cost is a lot. For basic burning needs and doing both ISO and DMG images, MacBurn does the job very well for a low price. I have never had a problem with it. Toast will do a few more things, but do you need them? If you don't I think Macburn will do a great job.

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

dtravis7 said:
Roxio Toast is a great program but the cost is a lot. For basic burning needs and doing both ISO and DMG images, MacBurn does the job very well for a low price. I have never had a problem with it. Toast will do a few more things, but do you need them? If you don't I think Macburn will do a great job.

Yep, Toast is way overkill for me. All I want to do is rip and burn. Nothing fancy schmancy ;) If I ever need more features, I know what to look for.

Speaking of Roxio, didn't Adaptec first create EZ CD Creator v.X and then Roxio bought that from Adaptec and renamed it to Toast? And now back in December, Sonic bought out Roxio? :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i2oadi2unnei2 said:
Yep, Toast is way overkill for me. All I want to do is rip and burn. Nothing fancy schmancy ;) If I ever need more features, I know what to look for.

Speaking of Roxio, didn't Adaptec first create EZ CD Creator v.X and then Roxio bought that from Adaptec and renamed it to Toast? And now back in December, Sonic bought out Roxio? :black:

Yes, that is pretty much what happened. I remember reading about it when it first happened. It was something like at first they still owned Easy CD and Toast and Roxio took over production, then later on they sold the whole thing to Roxio. At first I did not like the Roxio version especially Easy CD, but they have made it into a very good application. Toast has always been my favorite on the Mac, But for the cost, it's hard to beat MacBurn.

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

Well, in a nutshell, I've never really liked EZ CD Creator. Nero has always been a choice for me when I burn using a PC and still is. EZCD has always been a pain to uninstall "cleanly" and/or "reinstalled", hopefully Toast for Mac won't be a pain, if not, I'll settle with MacBurn.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i2oadi2unnei2 said:
Well, in a nutshell, I've never really liked EZ CD Creator. Nero has always been a choice for me when I burn using a PC and still is. EZCD has always been a pain to uninstall "cleanly" and/or "reinstalled", hopefully Toast for Mac won't be a pain, if not, I'll settle with MacBurn.

I agree with you on Nero although the very old Easy CD versions were pretty good for their time but I switched to Nero on the PC just before Roxio took over from Adaptec and never looked back. There were a lot of problems with the early Roxio Easy CD that almost caused a friend to loose his job with all the coasters as he was doing back ups and they blamed him. It was the early Roxio programs fault, so i showed him Nero and all his problems went away. The recent Easy CD works fine but for most of my PC burning I prefer Nero. Way easier to use and more features. I hope that someday Nero will make an OSX version! That would totally rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.