Windows 7 RC1 32-bit won't install via boot camp.

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm in a desperate situation here haha. Essentially, my macbook pro fails to realise that there is a disc in the drive. The drive spools up a couple of times and then ejects the disc. This is after I have burned the ISO file to the disc (through the correct means since I've burned about...7 discs...)

I do not know what to make of it. I had windows 7 Beta on my MBP a couple of months ago. I tried to test it out and see if the ISO disc on that worked, but it turns out it does not. So something has happened between a couple of months ago and now. Possibly an apple update? I'm running 10.5.7.

Also note I've partitioned my drive and clicked 'Start installation' in boot camp whilst the disc is spooling with no such luck. My mac simply does not read the disc, and I do not know why. I cannot boot straight from it either.

I managed to trick my pro once by burning the ISO using 'Burn' app. It worked, the disc wasn't ejected upon finishing of burning and then I clicked 'start installation in boot camp' and it restarted. This is where it gets familiar, the white boot screen came up, the drive spooled and then ejected the disc, then stayed on the white screen until I restarted the computer.

WHAT IS GOING ON?:Shouting:

Thanks for any help that you can give :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Well, we can look at Apple's notes, and see that OFFICIALLY, Boot Camp is only MEANT to be able to install Vista and XP. Thats what is says when you first load up Boot Camp Assistant.

However, you can install Windows Vista using Boot Camp, and then install Windows 7 Beta, and hopefully Release Candidate 1.

Also, try an apple Boot Camp update. Go to the apple website, go to:

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Boot Camp Update 2.1 for Windows Vista 32

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Well, we can look at Apple's notes, and see that OFFICIALLY, Boot Camp is only MEANT to be able to install Vista and XP. Thats what is says when you first load up Boot Camp Assistant.

However, you can install Windows Vista using Boot Camp, and then install Windows 7 Beta, and hopefully Release Candidate 1.

Also, try an apple Boot Camp update. Go to the apple website, go to:

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Boot Camp Update 2.1 for Windows Vista 32

Regards.

I can tell you from experience, you CAN install Windows 7 Beta or RC from a clean install in Bootcamp, no need to install Vista and then Win7. I have done this 4 times already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Most likely could be due to a bad burn, maybe try burning it a lower speed and verify it as well.

Reaction score
It worked just fine for me. Like the above poster said, you might have a bad burn. Try burning it again at a lower speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It can't be a bad burn if his Windows 7 beta disc, which clearly worked fine seeing as how he managed to install it successfully, is no longer working either.

Have you tried an XP or Vista disc? How about within OS X itself, are the discs being recognized? Let's rule out a hardware problem before trying to find a software culprit.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The funny thing is my superdrive seems perfectly fine. It recognises blank DVD-Rs. I used both Burn and Disk Utility to burn the ISO files and still nothing. I even tried burning the thing on a windows computer too and THEN putting it in my MBP. Alas nothing, the superdrive/software fails to recognise the disc.

Kash, I did try using a XP OEM disc that for XP and OSX does recognise this disc. It doesn't eject and it shows up on the desktop. The reason I do not just install THIS is because its an OEM and well..it's SP1 and yeah, doesn't work too well.

It MUST be something to do with the software then. I'm running 10.5.7. so does anyone else have trouble with this update or not? It MUST be something to do with the update. There doesn't seem to be any other explanation that includes how my previous ISO for Windows 7 Beta doesn't work now.

Thanks for the help guys. Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You don't even need the disk. I installed Win 7 in Bootcamp straight from the iso sitting on my desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.