• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will the Mac gods forgive me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM
So, uhh, I hate to admit this to you guys, but I'm building a PC system this month...
I bought my 12" ibook G4 last month, but decided it sucks for playing games and doing some graphics work that i like to do, so must build PC.
I'm going with a Shuttle XPC SK41G system as they're absolutely TINY!! Which I require as I need a small system for my tiny college desk.
Into this little guy I'm throwing an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 512 MB PC3200 RAM, 120 GB 7200 RPM 8 MB cache hard drive, a free CD-RW drive I have, Radeon 9550 128 MB 128 bit AGP card (gonna flash it to a Radeon 9600 though ;) ), and Windows XP Pro. This summer when I have cizash I'm gonna throw in at least a gig of Ram and a dual layer DVD burner.

Do you guys think that the Mac gods will forgive me for doing this??

Hey, at least I'm not putting an Intel in there, right??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I think the mac gods will be cool with it but Thor is a different matter, he really likes his new mac mini.

K

kingcrowing2

I was just talking to Mac God #3, and he said he would only forgive you made it a dual boot and put some type on linux on it (i think he wanted FC3... not sure though)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
from a performance/usefulness standpoint, if I were to put a dual boot system onto it (I think can sacrifice a few out of 120 gigs for dual boot ;) ), would I see any loss in performance from the hard drive if I were to set up dual boot?
also, I have a TON of software for windows, from astronomy, image editing, games, internet utitlities, what would be the benefit to me putting a LINUX distro on it?? I'm totally open to doing this, I just need some details beforehand.
Also, what is the best LINUX distro for a LINUX newbie??
Also, should I partition the drive into say a 110 GB and 10 GB partition, 110GB for windows and its apps, and 10 GB for LINUX and its apps? Or is there another setup that I'm missing...

K

kingcrowing2

I would reccomend Fedora Core 3, its based on red hat, and its very stable and easy to use, 10GB would be more than enough. the benifit of using linux, is that its fun and differnt, if you use it enough you might decide you like it, the biggest problem with it is there is very little software compatability for it, don't get me wrong, there are some awesome linux apps (Gimp, openoffice.org, firefox, etc were all designed with liunx in mind), plus its just a much smoother os than windows, i always love to try installing random Distros of linux on my PC just to see whats new, and its always different

M

meltbanana314

sprtnbsblplya said:
from a performance/usefulness standpoint, if I were to put a dual boot system onto it (I think can sacrifice a few out of 120 gigs for dual boot ;) ), would I see any loss in performance from the hard drive if I were to set up dual boot?

Nope.

sprtnbsblplya said:
also, I have a TON of software for windows, from astronomy, image editing, games, internet utitlities, what would be the benefit to me putting a LINUX distro on it?? I'm totally open to doing this, I just need some details beforehand.

Linux is infinitely more secure and stable than windows. Practically all the software is free of charge on Linux, and many cool applications are Linux/UNIX only. (Linux is never capitalized, by the way. "UNIX" is however.)

sprtnbsblplya said:

Mandrake Linux is the easiest in my opinion. Avoid Ubuntu (and in my opinion, Red Hat/Fedora) like the plague. Slackware, Debian, and Gentoo are the most difficult. Avoid them.

sprtnbsblplya said:
Also, should I partition the drive into say a 110 GB and 10 GB partition, 110GB for windows and its apps, and 10 GB for LINUX and its apps? Or is there another setup that I'm missing...

Mandrake will help you partition your hard drive. You need some hard drive for swap space and the master boot record - so if you have a 120GB drive (actual formatted capacity less) you should have 10GB for Linux, another gig for swap and MBR, and then the rest for Windows. Add more space during the install if you feel like it (20/30/40GB for Linux.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
I am the god of poppers and i forgive you...

M

meltbanana314

I should tell you that if you are going to use an ATI video card, then you might have some problems with getting it to work under Linux. ATI provides very crappy Linux drivers for their software. Use NVIDIA if you can. The drivers are closed source but are much better than ATI's.

Reaction score
No, you will burn in windows ****, sorry about that. THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN. :cool:

Have you never considered putting more ram in your ibook. 256MB is a small amount and how about a faster harddrive ? :doctor:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook has 768 RAM now, forgot to update.
Plus, 32 MB video is cr@p.
I want a cheap machien that can run Doom 3 and HL2, no *cheap* mac can do that

Reaction score
No, Macs are not really for games that's true but they work great for graphics work !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
sprtnbsblplya said:

I would recomend lindows [20$ very cheep] and it is very easy to use [a cross between mac os x ease of use and the look of windows in my opinion]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.