Partition now, install Windows later?

Reaction score
This may be an dumb question, but I have searched without a clear answer. I just purchased a new Macbook for law school and will need to use Windows to run exam taking software during finals. School offers Windows XP Pro, SP2 which is licensed to the school by Microsoft, however, I won't get the installation cd until school starts 3 months from now. 1) Should I run Bootcamp and install Windows in August? -or- 2) Should I run Bootcamp to partition the hard drive now and then install Windows at a later date (August)? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would do it all at once - in other words when you're issued the disk from your school.

One note of importance to consider: VL (volume licensed) copies of XP Pro SP2 have been known to be problematic when installing using Boot Camp. You might consider purchasing an OEM System Builders copy of XP Home SP2 full install. Those will work for sure.

By the way, XP Pro is rarely needed as it offers little over the home version. It does allow accessing domains and the encryption of data. So if you should need either of those options....

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.