how much do pb's hold their value?

M

menace3054

This is my first mac, and being that i have no idea how macs hold their values.

i was trying to figure out how much i should sell my pb g4 12" 1.33ghz, super-drive for. I have apple care and it comes with 1.25gb of ram. In total, i paid roughly 2400 for the set-up with the ram, apple care, and the machine.

is 1850 too much to ask for? its only 8 months old, and i still have the box and all of the manuals and accessories. i wanted to sell it to get a 15"

thanks for your help

OP
J

jessica

Hi.
My understanding is that Apples hold their value quite well. Better than any PC. Even though something faster may be out, I know people using the clamshell books just fine today. They may not be able to run Tiger, but that is because Tiger is going to use things like CoreImage and what not (that is my understanding again).

However, with your configuration I think that $1850 may be just a tad too much. Here are some open auctions for your product on ebay:
Open Auctions

Here are some completed auctions:
Completed Auctions

I think that you can set a reserve to $1400 at least and come out a winner, but $1850 to me hardly seems worth it. Also, is AppleCare transferable?

OP
M

menace3054

i guess i assumed people could read. actually a new one of mine went for $1478, as mine has a SUPER DRIVE. also im pretty sure the new one doesnt come with applecare, or a 1 gb stick of memory. how do you figure that it is only a few hundred less? After the machine, apple care, and ram upgrade, the 15" model is going to cost me at least more than $2900! 2299 for the 15" PB with Superdrive, 349 for applecare, and 260 for 1gb ram upgrade. Im not looking to "only" have to spend a "few hundrend" dollars, i was actually expecting to have to pay 1000 to upgrade to the 15" model.

according to your website, a new version of mine runs 1478. well tack on applecare, ilife 05, popcorn, and ram that figure is 2216 brand new. i dont see how 400 off isnt fair considering the fact that i still have the box and the machine is in mint condition.

OP
E

Eleven

Yeah but 1850 get you a new PB 15 1.5/superdrive/80gb.

And software, well...

OP
I

iDVFH.

I don't even own a Powerbook but it's common sense no one will buy that for $1850..apple's do hold their value but even if you gave me all that stuff i would rather spend less and have a factory sealed machine

OP
E

Eleven

Well your question was "how do PBs hold their value"

So since I don't wish to argue any further I will make it short and simple: "not as much as you wish"

And next time you ask for an opinion, be prepared to accept an answer you don't like or just don't ask.

OP
J

jessica

I guess I assumed that my answer; which was polite and rather useful in my opinion, was read by you. Do not under estimate my ability to read your original post. I answered your question, but I was unable to offer you the answer in which you sought.

Word of advice, when someone helps you try a thank you instead of insulting us.

I say $1400 another says $1000 to $1100. Find your happy median and sell it.

menace3054 said:
i guess i assumed people could read. actually a new one of mine went for $1478, as mine has a SUPER DRIVE. also im pretty sure the new one doesnt come with applecare, or a 1 gb stick of memory. how do you figure that it is only a few hundred less? After the machine, apple care, and ram upgrade, the 15" model is going to cost me at least more than $2900! 2299 for the 15" PB with Superdrive, 349 for applecare, and 260 for 1gb ram upgrade. Im not looking to "only" have to spend a "few hundrend" dollars, i was actually expecting to have to pay 1000 to upgrade to the 15" model.

according to your website, a new version of mine runs 1478. well tack on applecare, ilife 05, popcorn, and ram that figure is 2216 brand new. i dont see how 400 off isnt fair considering the fact that i still have the box and the machine is in mint condition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
For what it's worth, the guy is right about the 1850. I've been looking for a week for a powerbook to replace my dead G3/900 ibook (logic board failure) - decided to find a total replacement for my desktop PC so im getting ready to spend more than I've ever spent on a single box (laptop or desktop) - on a powerbook and a docking station.

I'll cut to the chase here and say Powerbooks retain a huge part of their value. More than any other Mac I've seen.

On ebay (I've lost on 3 bids on powerbooks already in the $800 range) for sometimes ridiculous amounts - often very very close to a new powerbook price. Powerbook shoppers and sellers seem to know the models too; woe be to the PB buyer that doesnt research all the models. I've learned that with powerbooks the 'extras' really do count towards the value. Things like adding ram and including your old Office X v will add to its salability quite a bit. As does applecare. A 1.5 PB with extra ram and applecare has a good shot at getting the 1850 you mentioned.

I think the fellow who mentioned the 1400 reserve price was dead on - you should expect to get 1400 + for that powerbook. I would not be suprised at all to see it hit $1800+. I would not look for 2000+. This is assuming it's in good shape and you can post some pictures that prove it, don't have a lot of neg feedback etc.

-Lonerider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
menace3054 said:
This is my first mac, and being that i have no idea how macs hold their values.

i was trying to figure out how much i should sell my pb g4 12" 1.33ghz, super-drive for. I have apple care and it comes with 1.25gb of ram. In total, i paid roughly 2400 for the set-up with the ram, apple care, and the machine.

is 1850 too much to ask for? its only 8 months old, and i still have the box and all of the manuals and accessories. i wanted to sell it to get a 15"

thanks for your help

You won't sell a 12" PB for $1850 to get a new 15" PB for only a few hundred more. That's a rip off in the nicest way of putting it.

If you don't have any idea how they hold their value, don't be upset when someone tells you $1,400. And that price, it'd have to be excellent condition.

You paid for the Applecare warranty, doesn't necessarily mean the next person would be willing to pay the price you think is fair just because you have the APP and they could care less. I don't purchase warranties, never need them. Doesn't mean I never will, but a lot of other computer users feel the same.

And again, you asked "is $1850 too much to ask for?"
Answer: yes. So don't get all uppity when you get the answer to your question and you think it's wrong.

For example: With the gov't discount on a new 12", 1.5 GHz, 768MB RAM, with SuperDrive comes to $1,632 before tax, and free shipping. Brand new, not 8 months old.

I have the same PB you have, 1.33 with 768MB RAM, 60GB hard drive, and superdrive, and I wouldn't expect to get more than $1200 for mine. And mine is 9 months old.

So, if you don't want to hear anyone say you are asking too much, post your for sale ad or eBay auction for $1850, and try not to be surprised when you DON'T get any calls/bids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Already know about pricegrabber, pricewatch, etc. Right now apple sells the 1.33Ghz 12" Powerbook combo drive setup for 1099 refurbished. The problem is nabbing one when it shows up on their site - they don't last long. Tried to get that deal from microcenter.com but it tells me the item is no longer available when I try to check out.

On E-bay, the titanium powerbooks still regularly go for $1k +, even the really old 667s and such generally get $900+ if they have a good chunk of RAM in them. Remarkably, I'd say about 1/3 of the pbook auctions on ebay end with someone paying within $100 or what they could buy brand new from Apple. I'm constantly seeing the AlBook 12/867 combo going for near $1000. Very bizarre, seeing you can get a brand new 12/1.33 for 1300 almost anywhere (like, compusa), and it'll have twice the vram, better video chip, 50% more hard disk, and about 60% faster CPU. All that, and the 867 looks like a steal compared to a TiBook 667.

What gives? Is the TiBook considered some kind of art form or something?

I may just bite the bullet and buy a 1.5 / superdrive 12" brand new.

-Lonerider

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.