Which Uni Macbook?

Reaction score
I've looked at a number of PC notebooks, and after careful consideration, I don't like a one of them. I'm going to a Macbook. I spent time at the Apple Store and really like what I'm seeing. They're well built and they work and that's important to me as this notebook has to last me a long time. I currently have a 7 year old Compaq notebook that's tethered to the desk, but it still serves a purpose and I'll keep using it until it dies.

I'm starting seminary this fall so the dependability factor of Mac is a big plus. Schooling is expensive so I won't have the resources to replace my computer every couple of years. I'll spend the money for quality now. I'm looking at a couple of 13.3" options at macmall:

1. 2.0ghz/4gb
2. 2.4ghz/4gb

They have some deals going on right now so it might be a good time to buy. This computer is going to be used for research, note taking, papers, etc. No games, music/video production. At first I thought the 13.3" screen would be too small, but I'm finding it's actually nice. I don't know if I even need 4mb of memory, but I figured it can't hurt especially if I have multiple windows open. The resident experts please feel free to offer your thoughts on that. Based on what I'm doing, if 2mb is plenty with room to spare, that's what I'll go with. Office and some bible research software is probably all I'll need and there's Mac versions made for that. I won't be running Windows on this machine.

I hope I've given you enough information to counsel me on the decision. Again, I'm going to have this for a long time so I want to get it right the first time. Oh, I'm not interested in a preowned/refurbished machine. There's always something new coming out and I don't need this until August. If anyone thinks I should wait for better deals at "back to school time", that's fine too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
For what it is you're going to do, I would say the 2.0 GHz is plenty of machine. You may want to look at upgrading the RAM yourself. For an extra $100, you can max it out, and the machine will be better equipped to deal with multiple applications running.

Good luck!

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
well you mean GB's not MB's when you are referring to the memory. not poking fun at ya just thought i would mention it.

you dont need 4GB of ram for what you have described 2GB would be fine and you can always upgrade it to 4GB if it is ever needed. the current pricing is about $60 to upgrade it from 2GB to 4GB but continues to drop over time.

what you cant upgrade is the processor and if i had the money and was buying a laptop that i truly know that i will be using for a long time then i would get the fastest processor that is available today.

so 2.4GHZ/2GB

enjoy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
For what it is you're going to do, I would say the 2.0 GHz is plenty of machine. You may want to look at upgrading the RAM yourself. For an extra $100, you can max it out, and the machine will be better equipped to deal with multiple applications running.

Good luck!

Sean

Sean gives good advice, upgrading the RAM yourself is simple and will save you plenty of money.

When it comes to Macs, the more the merrier with RAM, they will make use of it to improve your user experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Wish I had ponied up for the 2.4 just for the lighted key board ! Oh and ys do the ram yourself.

Clay

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To emvinnie:

If you intend to use your MacBook for seminary work, I strongly advise you to buy the best options you can afford. Large hard drive (Bible research and Bible study software take up a lot of drive space) Definitely go with 4GB of system memory.

You may even wish to consider dual booting your new MacBook between OS X and Windows. I mention that because of the overwhelming availability of Bible research software for Windows and the rather sparse offerings for the Mac.

Most seminaries, like colleges and universities have a bookstore or at least a connection where you can purchase software at a discount (student editions). You probably will want to take full advantage of that also.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
Wish I had ponied up for the 2.4 just for the lighted key board ! Oh and ys do the ram yourself.

Clay

don't know how i didnt think to mention that. GREAT POINT!!!!!

i always poo poo'ed the backlight keyboard as if it didnt really matter but that was before i got one that had it. i would never go back.

every time my brother and i sit outside on the porch at night or in a dark living room etc... he admires my backlight keyboard as he has to either bust out a USB light or constantly adjust his screen to get what little light he can from his screen to type.

get the backlight keyboard which only comes with the 2.4 and you will thank yourself for the many years you plan to own this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
get the 2.4 and don't look back!! The light up keyboard is a high selling point for me! You can regret not getting the upgraded version once you buy it, but you can't regret something when there is nothing better to buy...unless you go with mbp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It sounds like I do more demanding tasks than you do, and so far, nothing that I have thrown at my stock base model (2GHz, 2GB) has given it pause. I will be upgrading the RAM myself at some point in the next month or two just for giggles and to see if I can somehow use even 3GB of RAM at once (keep my machine on for a year maybe with tons of apps open? haha).

But, if you've got the cash to spend on the maxed out 2.4GHz, I don't see why you shouldn't spend it (other than doing the RAM upgrade yourself, that is). If you are looking to save, you can always get a 2.4GHz refurb for 1399, and then buy the 2x2GB RAM kit from otherworldcomputing for 60 bucks.

My 2.0GHz 2GB refurbished baby is running like a dream. I don't doubt she will continue to run well for a loooong time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you follow the advice of chscag above where he mentions you will probably find yourself needing Windows for some of your software needs then that is another reason to get the 2.4GHz and then i would recommend 4GB ram.

i have a 2.0GHz Macbook with 3GB ram and 2.4GHz Macbook with 4GB ram and my 2.4GHz smokes my 2.0GHz when running Windows and OS X at the same time with programs opened in both. i can easily max out both my processors and ram on the 2.0GHz but rarely happens with the 2.4GHz. i have tested these 2 machines running the same things many times and the 2.4GHz is a clear winner when pushing it with 2 OS's running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
That is true, I ONLY use OS X. I don't want to dirty up my machine, even with a VM inside of it. :) Now Maybe I'd dual boot into Darwin or something to play around and learn the *nix systems a bit better, but OS X is my baby.

OP
E
Reaction score
My Thanks

To everyone that replied, I thank you for your kind advice and suggestions. I just checked Apple's site and the Education discount makes it worth it for me to buy directly from them. The additional memory is so close to what I'd pay from Crucial that I'd just as soon buy it factory installed. Even get a nice discount on AppleCare. They're also giving away (via 100% rebate) an Ipod Touch. I don't need it, but if it's free, why not?

I would agree with chscag regarding Biblical research software if I was doing intensive research in Greek and Hebrew. There's some fantastic programs out there that aren't coded for Macs, and may never be. However, what I need is available in Mac version so that will work nicely. I don't want to run Windows on this machine. I'm getting a Mac so Mac is what I'm going to use. So it looks like it's going to be the 2.4ghz/4gb Macbook. Since I've gotten use to the 13.3" screen, I've noticed some of the other laptop makers coming out with smaller screens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.