Problems already

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Aluminum Unibody
I'm a newbie so bare with me. I bought my new macbook yesterday and it was going fine until i tried to plug my external hard drive. I forgot what it said about the hd but after that it turned all my folders blue and it takes forever to open them. My Macintosh hd cant open unless i open it up in finder. please help i would like to correct this problem because its making me uneasy. Thank you in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Spotlight (the service that searches your hard drive) is likely indexing your external hard drive. You can view its progress by clicking the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the menu bar.

Let it go and it will eventually return to normal speed once it finishes building indexes.

OP
jakett
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Aluminum Unibody
not only does it do it to my external hard drive it does it to my internal hard drives and all its folders

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yup, it will. Just let it finish up and you'll be good to go. Now, if you've forcibly shut the machine down while it was busy doing its thing, you might have prolonged it or caused a problem with the disk structure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.