Just purchased my first ever Mac (ibook 12.1)

Reaction score
After using PC's for my whole life, I have just gone to the Apple store to pick up an ibook.

After turning it on... and setting up the wireless network, I was stuck with nothing to do but surf this forum. I don't know how to do anything I realized. Where to download Mp3's, how to play pokerstars, what kind of mouse to get because I find the touchpad kind of uncomfortable, what esesntial programs I need, how to delete the install file i downloaded from Adium X, what programs are installed that I don't need, why I only have 18.7gb free from the start, etc.. I'm just so lost. Don't know where to start.

If you members could help me out in this thread with some tips, that would be greatly appreciated.

M

meltbanana314

1. File sharing:

Poisoned (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20289)
for BitTorrent sites, my choice is TomatoTorrent (http://sarwat.net/bittorrent/&e=9833)

2. Any USB mouse will work, including Microsoft ones.

3. "Essential" is subjective.

4. Go into the Finder (the happy-face icon on your dock) and look on the left corner of the window and see below the "Macintosh HD" and "Network" icons if an Adium disk icon is present. If it is, click the little "eject" button to the right of it (it looks like an arrow.) Then, just drag the .dmg file to the trash.

5. What don't you need? Don't play games? Ditch Chess and Marble Blast Gold. Don't like Microsoft? Ditch IE for the Mac, Don't burn DVDs or make Movies? Just drag the icons for iDVD/iMovie to the trash. Repeat with anything in your applications folder that you don't need.

6. That doesn't sound right... if you bought the iBook with a 30 gig drive you should have around 24-26GBs right from the start.

OP
S
Reaction score
I want to be able to watch DVD movies but I don't make DVDs or movies... so can I still watch Dvds if i delete IDVD OR IMOVIE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yes. but dont delete them. you dont need to delete them

OP
S
Reaction score
I want to install Camino since I heard it's better than safari. How can I cleanly delete safari?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'd leave, if I were you. I don't use Safari either, but it would be safe to have alternative browsers like Safari just in case; you can't view something on Camino.

OP
S
Reaction score
i just plugged in a generic usb mouse and it seems very choppy or doesn't seem to move like it does when connected to my pc. is there like an option for mouse sensitivity!?

M

meltbanana314

Keep your USB mouse plugged in.
Go up to the Apple menu (left top corner) and go to system preferences. Under hardware select "mouse and keyboard." Select "Mouse" and fiddle with the settings bars until something feels good.

Nothing is wrong with your current mouse. OS X is sluggish compared to windows when dealing with non-trackpad mice.

If changing those settings doesn't get things to work cleanly, check out USB Overdrive. (http://www.usboverdrive.com/)

W

warrenbert

You need to leave Safari on there. It's necessary so you can change your default browser. Try the shareware program "SideTrack". I love my iBook a lot more because of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
The reason you have only 19 free gigs of HD space is the same reason I opted to order my iBook from from Apple's website with a 60gig HD. The iBook comes with 11gigs of programs preinstalled on it. If you did not get the DVD/RW which I didnt either, then I suggest you delete iDVD. It will free up a few gigs for you. SideTrack is a great program. Keep iMovie and Safari. The best thing to do when you first get your Apple is to just sit and play with, explore some stuff on the web, read various posts on these forums. You will start to get more comfortable. I have had my iBook for over 3 months now and I enjoy it more and more everyday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.