Advice needed!

Reaction score
I'm very much a newbie here. I had a month or so's experience with Macs at the Red Bull Music Academy last year and found that the apps were very musician friendly. I also noticed that everybody was using Macs.
My step daughter is very much into singing/songwriting and getting to the stage where a portable Mac becomes a requirement.
So, my question is; Should we be looking at a New Macbook or something higher specked that is almost new or do we go for something quite a lot older but is top spec?
We have about 1000 Euros. Is a Pro worth the extra cash? and if so, is an older pro worth getting? Weight is less of a potential problem than useability/apps etc as carrying it around will only be occasional.
We also have a Roland keyboard, will it be possible to hook this up to the Mac.
Any advice gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I would say a minimum requirement would be a top spec Powerbook G4, but given that your budget is higher than the cost of one of those, I would go for the best spec machine you can afford. I wouldn't personally say that a Pro is better for your needs than a high spec Macbook to be honest though.
Connecting the keyboard will depend on it's outputs but you should have no problem, as there are many ways (midi, line-in, etc)
If she is serious about the music though, she's going to need some good software, so bear in mind the costs involved there too. Logic and Cubase, as examples, aren't cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB ram DL SuperDrive
in my opinion, the pro is well worth the extra cash and its resonably better than the macbook. i bought my powerbook g4 off of ebay for 900 dollars when it was still never and the guy was a dj, it included a lot of music editing software like reason and garageband. im just saying that a high end powerbook g4 will meet your requirements as well.try to get something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerBook-G4-A1013-17-Leopard-1GHz-1-GB-60GB-HDD_W0QQitemZ250428051811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Laptops?hash=item3a4eacd163&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
of course, try to aim for higher specs as it will help you in the future, many programs require more proccesor speeds

OP
U
Reaction score
That's what I reckoned. I'm pretty sure that it has a MIDI out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That does seem to be too good to be true. I paid more for my G4 Powerbook!
Good spec on the first machine for sure.

OP
U
Reaction score
I would say a minimum requirement would be a top spec Powerbook G4, but given that your budget is higher than the cost of one of those, I would go for the best spec machine you can afford. I wouldn't personally say that a Pro is better for your needs than a high spec Macbook to be honest though.
Connecting the keyboard will depend on it's outputs but you should have no problem, as there are many ways (midi, line-in, etc)
If she is serious about the music though, she's going to need some good software, so bear in mind the costs involved there too. Logic and Cubase, as examples, aren't cheap.

I may well be able to get some of this software from muso friends that had a Mac that went pop. I need to talk to them this pm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.