using G4 tower as back-up, need help connecting to new MB

Reaction score
I just recently got a new MacBook and would like to use my old (really really old) G4 tower for storage. I am happy to hardwire the two, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. The G4 has firewire but the MB has USB 2.0.
Is there a easy fix for this? Or is my tower just a big waste of space?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You could do it by ethernet.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is possible, it such an old machine. I thought maybe I could use Time Machine but that would mean upgrading (I think) the OS on the tower and I do not want to spend any more $ on it. I was hoping a simple cable would hook the two up and that would be all I need. Perhaps I was being naive.
If hardwiring doesn't work, I will revisit the ethernet idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Macs have had ethernet since, well almost as long as I can remember

My old G4 tower is hosting a 250 gig drive that is my time machine disk over ethernet. The tower runs Tiger and works fine - backing up the MacBook

There are a few steps to get Time Machine to use a drive on a network, but if you get the two connected then I'l tell you how

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Create a network between the old computer and your mac with ethernet connection. This is what I used to do with a old PC and my Macbook.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just wiped the G4 clean and now I am in the process of updating the system.
Prior to the OS reinstall I was able to see the G4 on my MB but not able to drop any files onto it. I'm sure it'll be an easy thing to accomplish once the G4 is done with all it's updates and installs. I might need some assistance when the time comes.
Thanks for the quick response.

OP
M
Reaction score
I Did It

It's done, I was able to drop files on the G4 from my MB! Yeah. Now I need to figure out how to get TM to work! Thanks for the suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.