Question on Macbook Purchase

Reaction score
Hi,

I am confused as to whether I should buy an aluminum macbook now or hold off. I am planning on purchasing the 2 ghz model from my university, which is selling it for 1099. I am going to get it with the free iPod whenever the back to school deal begins. My question is that there should be an update to the processor speed in the coming month. Is this going to increase the price of the notebook, will the discount be off. I was just wondering if anyone has had previous experience with the mac educational discount prices.

Thank You

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm not sure how other schools do it but at my school we get 100 dollars off the retail price. If the price goes up and we pay more obviously but we get 100 dollars off.

Reaction score
Hold off until the Back to School deal starts, Snow Leopard (the next OS) is released and the spec-update happens (sometime in June). Snow Leopard could be released as early as WWDC '09 in the upcoming weeks or as late as October. If you want Snow Leopard, which is said to be faster and more stable, then wait until August at your latest before buying a Macbook. The Back to School deal is valid until October I believe.

Reaction score
Hold off until the Back to School deal starts, Snow Leopard (the next OS) is released and the spec-update happens (sometime in June). Snow Leopard could be released as early as WWDC '09 in the upcoming weeks or as late as October. If you want Snow Leopard, which is said to be faster and more stable, then wait until August at your latest before buying a Macbook. The Back to School deal is valid until October I believe.

Hm, I disagree with waiting until August. Seriously. You *might* own the newest laptop for 3 months, until new specs come out. Is it really that big of deal to you? If you need a computer, you need a computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.