Google Maps and Mac OS?

Reaction score
Okay, so I've owned, built and operated PCs since the mid-80s and have only owned and operated an Apple Mac for less than 6 months. Very new to me and I'm nearly challenged every day of using my Mac. I also picked up an 8 GB iPhone to sync my mail contacts etc with my Mac.

I purchased a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz machine and I do love this machine....but as mentioned above...am challenged by not knowing shortcuts, etc.

Well...I don't understand why it is that I cannot view Google Maps. For instance...I'm in the market of purchasing a home in a new location where we've moved to. I'm using a Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® to search through home listings posted. With this site there are maps embedded into the listings however, I cannot view these maps while viewing the listings on my MBP however, I can view these maps while using my PC Notebook.

I'm sure I have to install some third-party program....but have no clue on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
It might be Flash, as CWA mentioned. What browser are you using?

I'm using Safari, and I can see the maps. I think you might need Java.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Flash and Java should both be installed. 10. 5 came with Flash 9 and a subsequent update came with 10 (not sure which one). Java is also pre-installed (just not Java 6).

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you all.

Mmmm...interesting enough...the ISP (iBAHN) for some reason doesn't allow viewing of Google Maps.

I used Citrix to connect to the internet from my machine and I can view the maps with no problems. It's only when I'm going direct through this ISP that I'm not able to view the maps.

I'll call them in the morning to see what gives...

Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very interesting your ISP is blocking Google Maps! Let us know what they say when you contact them. Using Safari here and 10.5.7 and all is fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm.... I would take issue with any so-called "ISP" that is blocking certain sites. Before you get too bummed out, give this a try:

ies4osx

I am aware of certain Real Estate industry sites that absolutely require IE, so much so, that many of the large Real Estate firms are deploying Citrix-based IE deployments to skirt the issue. But if you don't want to connect to someone else's remote server, you can run IE via virtualization.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just tried searching some listings and all the ones I saw used MS Virtual Earth and not Google Maps. If so, perhaps VE uses Silverlight (don't know for sure) and this might be why it's not working. Do you have Silverlight installed?

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay....confirmed!

It was on the ISPs end with a Firewall setting on their end. The tech said that she disabled some features within their Firewall on their end....and sure enough....I managed to pop up the maps to include maps.google.com

Thanks all for your quick assistance on this.

I'll be doing further searches on this site to help me as I'm still a newbie in the Mac OS world. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
I just tried searching some listings and all the ones I saw used MS Virtual Earth and not Google Maps. If so, perhaps VE uses Silverlight (don't know for sure) and this might be why it's not working. Do you have Silverlight installed?

It doesn't appear that I have Silverlight installed. At least...when I browse through "Finder" and "Applications".

Is this a program that you'd recommend my installing....or now that I can view the maps....should I not bother with installing Silverlight?

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't appear that I have Silverlight installed. At least...when I browse through "Finder" and "Applications".

Is this a program that you'd recommend my installing....or now that I can view the maps....should I not bother with installing Silverlight?

Thanks
If you don't need it, there is not need to install it. From what I have seen, Silverlight doesn't power much dynamic content on the web.

Reaction score
I am having a problem with Google Maps and Picasa and sites using these as well. Maps have "Loading..." at the top highlighted in yellow until a "troubleshooting guide or switch to basic HTML" script replaces the Loading. You can see parts of the map, but unless you switch to basic HTML it doesn't load completely nor do any of the buttons work. All the trouble shooting didn't work. I tried the suggestions above as well. Also tried possible issues with skype. I am running Mac OS 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.3, but I have the same problem in Firefox so I think it is something on my Mac. A friend with another MacBook was at the house using our wireless internet was able to access google maps perfectly, so it isn't that either. I have had my computer for several years and when I first bought it I put a free web filter on it (that I unfortunately don't remember the name of), but it blocked too much and was annoying so I deleted it. Still to this day random things will appear as "***" instead of the actual word. I am wondering if remnants of this filter are somewhere on my computer blocking things such as google maps... just a thought. Any other suggestions or ideas on how to find possible remnants of this web filter that I can't remember the name to. Any help is much appreciated. thanks so much!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any other suggestions or ideas on how to find possible remnants of this web filter that I can't remember the name to.
It's hard to help if we don't know what we're helping with.

It is very likely that part of it is still lingering. If it had an installer, it has to be properly uninstalled. Only drag and drop application bundles can simply be dragged to the trash.

Reaction score
Just deleted it... don't remember if there was an uninstall or I just trashed it. It was a while ago.

Is there anyway to search for web filters on your machine? or to globally disable them or something like that.

Any other suggestions of the culprit. I do like google and would like to use the maps/picasa, but it just won't work...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.