Hardware & software Compatibility

Reaction score
A few questions I haven't found in my search of the stickys (I have yet switched):

1. I am a big fan of the Logitech MX revolution keyboard and mouse, will these be compatible with a Macbook?

2. To run a windows game I would need to install windows with boot camp, correct?

3. To install windows would I have to purchase the plain operating system (any way to install from my previous lwindows vista laptop which I have the recovery discs for?)?

4. When I use windows will I have all the joys of Mac, the touchpad and the same screen set up (which is what appeals to me (I think the answer is yes!)?

5. Is it possible to transfer all file types between Mac and PC? I believe MS Office applications can be used on Mac?

6. Does installing two OS eat up a lot of space and slow the Mac down?

7. Does running Windows and Mac's OS mean that anti-virus software is a necessity?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kieran

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
1. I am a big fan of the Logitech MX revolution keyboard and mouse, will these be compatible with a Macbook?

According to their website the keyboard and mouse are both compatible with mac, as are most USB keyboards and mice.

2. To run a windows game I would need to install windows with boot camp, correct?

If it doesn't have a mac version.

3. To install windows would I have to purchase the plain operating system (any way to install from my previous lwindows vista laptop which I have the recovery discs for?)?

Not from the recovery disks. You will need a full install disk of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Higher, Vista, etc

4. When I use windows will I have all the joys of Mac, the touchpad and the same screen set up (which is what appeals to me (I think the answer is yes!)?

Most of the shortcuts and setup options are available for use while using boot camp, but you must install the boot camp preferences and drivers for windows from the OS X installation cd after installing windows.

5. Is it possible to transfer all file types between Mac and PC? I believe MS Office applications can be used on Mac?

Not all file types, most MS Office files can be transferred, but there are some things that do not have a windows version for viewing. And some external hard drives will have to be reformatted to FAT32 file structure so that you can write to the device.

6. Does installing two OS eat up a lot of space and slow the Mac down?

Yes its takes more space, but should not slow the mac down as with bootcamp they are running independently. If you are using a virtual machine to run windows within OS X then yes it will run slower.

7. Does running Windows and Mac's OS mean that anti-virus software is a necessity?

For your windows installation you should have virus software, it should not be require for your os x installation as windows formatted viruses should not affect os x.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the help iles, so to have the option of playing windows games I'd need to fork out the £150 or whatever it is for Vitsa?

Does Mac have a remote desktop connection facility as I use this quite regularly?

Kieran

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.