infrared and apple remotes for macs that never had

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
so i've got my emac, its all hooked up with upgrades out the yang, except....no apple remote for the ultimate stay in bed and click laziness.

so, i ordered a cheapo usb ir giggity from ebay and found a dude selling new apple remotes for ungodly low prices (some people buy too many macs at once lol), and wham bam, thank you ma'am they are on their way.

i was searching the almighty google, but couldnt find what i was looking for.

is mira the only software out there for using ir and apple remote with macs that never had? or is there some freeware/opensource that i havent found yet?

limited budget, and the remote and receiver was my play money for awhile.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I'm well aware of that. Which is why I have a USB IR receiver being delivered shortly. And as I stated in my first post, there is obviously the one program to ensure functionality with non-ir standard machines.

What I am looking for are any free or open source applications that could be used instead of Mira, which costs money.

20 minutes later...I must add an addendum. After reading the info contained in that link, I know now that there are two paid programs for interfacing, and I just learned what the little button on the bottom was for. Its good to know that I'll be able to acquire a replacement battery without sending it to apple for a rebuild.
I'm also reading more about just how much I can use this nifty little controller for. Fascinating.

My original question still remains though, are there any freeware/open source alternatives to the two pay programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
So I got my receiver today, and OSX sees it in profiler, but the remote won't pair up.

Is there a free way to do this or am I going to have to pay for Mira or Remote Buddy instead?

I'd really like to find a freeware option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.