External hard drive question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Hey Mac people! :)

I have a question-ish:

Does an external hard drive extists that will meet the following requirements:

1: must connect to FireWire 400 or fireWire 800

2: not need an external powersource (= run on the power given by the fireWire cable)

3: be larger than 500 GB

I THINK i've looked everywhere, and I can't seem to find such a drive :/
So: can you guys help me? :)

(english not perfect, sorry for any grammar/spelling typos :p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I don't think any firewire HD will ever run without an external power source, especially one as large as you want, there just isn't the power available to spin the drive.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
:(
cuz I know that both Western Digital and Seagate makes 500GB external hadr drives, that runs on just FireWire power

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.8 24-Inch (Early 2008)
My question is similar to NightCrawler's.

I have an iMac 8,1 Intel with 300 GB disk.

For backup I thought to get a hard disk and put it in a firewire enclosure.

I also have a hard disk with Windows XP on it and a lot of files that I need to keep, and another hard disk that I want to access.
Now, I have seen enclosures that will take four disks.

Also, could I take the hard disk from my Windows XP PC, put it in the enclosure and boot from it?

I know there are a lot of questions all rolled into one here, but I hope for a single solution, ie the enclosure.

Is all this possible? Any advice on what kind to buy.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
If you don't want an external power source, you're going to HAVE to look at portable drives. No standard 3.5" external drives are going to be able to be powered from the port.

That being said, portable drives are very recently breaking the 500GB mark. They're out there, but they won't be cheap.

G-Technology - G-DRIVE mini - Ultra-Portable Storage Solutions for People on the Go!

There's another 500GB one, but like I said, it's going to be HARD (if not impossible depending on what 2.5" SATA drives are up to technology-wise) to find one bigger than that.

edit: I just did a quick search because I was curious, and I don't think there is a hard drive that will meet your requirements. In 3-6 months, there should be, but it looks like currently 500GB is the limit for port-powered external drives.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the replies - I guess ill have to do with "just" 500GBs :p

:)
You've all been very helpful - love the mac community!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.