My story

Reaction score
I was going to put this in the 'Whats the main reason you got a Mac?' but it is a fairly long post.

Id love to hear everyone's stories of how they became a mac user

I thought i might share my story which i posted on my blog Apple | jamesdfulton.net

This is a blog I have always wanted to write. It’s a topic, which is always one I will argue about with friends and family. If I can persuade just one person to change from PC to Mac in this blog I will be satisfied. If you are someone who will never give Mac a chance, leave now! Maybe go do a virus scan, or paint me a picture using mspaint on your obsolete PC.

I guess my story starts 2 years ago. It hurts me to type this but I was one of those people. One of those people who would never ever think about using a Mac let alone purchasing one, then writing a blog about it a few years down the track. I had used Macs in the past mainly at University but on a limited basis. I didn’t think anything of it, but never gave it a chance. I was just a one-eyed PC user, and never wanted to change!

It all stars at my friend’s house. I was looking at getting a new laptop, one that was small and portable, one that the battery would last longer than 30 minutes. My friend Chris had just bought a new Apple MacBook, and would not stop talking about it. I gave it a go, and it seemed pretty cool, some really cool features and a great design. I liked what I saw. I think it was from that moment my hatred towards Mac was gone. I went home that night, jumped on the net and did a bit of research, checking out further information about Macs and looking at prices. They did seem a bit more expensive than a PC, but with every Mac purchase you get everything you need in the box! No need to purchase extra software or hardware, it all comes ready too go. It took me a few weeks of deep thought but I knew my next computer was going to be a Mac

After hours of research I figured out which Mac was right for me. In the end I decided to go with the Apple MacBook (the same as Chris). It came in December 2007 in a big shinny white box and it looked beautiful.

Initially I thought it would take me a while to understand how it works, but surprisingly it was very easy. Unlike previous PCs I have bought in the past, I didn’t have to spend hours on end flicking thought the manual. Everything worked, everything was simple to use, the navigation was logical, and there was no need to uninstall unwanted programs. I was a very happy boy.

After 2 years of using a Mac day in day out, it has made me realise how much more advanced an Apple system is over a PC system. If you haven’t read the first post click here

By far, the quality that I love about my Mac is that it never, never, never, ever crashes, freezes, resets, dies or lags. It just works. The operating system and the programs, they all simply work. It makes life so much easier, especially when using high-powered programs such as Photoshop and Final Cut Pro, where lagging and crashing can give you a constant head-ache.

Viruses! No need to worry about viruses, trojans, spyware, anything! This is what I really love about having a Mac. For many years I had been fending off viruses from my computer. With a Mac there is no need to worry about it. And you don’t have a program eating into your computers speed while it scans, and uses up all your Internet usage from daily updates.

Look, style and design! Mac makes you look really cool at University, and draw the attention of all the hot girls in class. No longer is the computer user a nerd! They are a real sleek design, a perfect size for a portable laptop, and the white colour sets them off, unlike a generic black colour laptop.

The screen colours are amazing! The graphics this baby can produce are incredible! Miles ahead of a Windows based laptop.

The power cord has an inbuilt magnet, which mean when you happen to trip over it, it won’t rip out half your computer hardware, such as my last Dell laptop.

The inbuilt camera is a great feature. No need to mess around installing drivers direct from Taiwan, it simply works, and is compatible with Apple’s programs.

The battery is goes on and on and on and on! I can milk 5 hours out of a Mac, and I have had this laptop nearly 2 years now. Pretty good value I must say.

Mac features are very intuitive. The two finger scroll on the Touch Pad to scroll down a page. It’s such a simple yet effective way to scroll. Expose is another simple but great way to view all open windows at once. Who would have thought it could be that simple, Apple’s Widgets are another great idea. Having the widgets appear with the touch of a button utilizes space much more effectively than having a permanent side bar taking up half the screen.

Apple programs such as Mail, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iCal, I LOVE THEM! They are all compatible, unlike Windows where programs work using XP but don’t work using the failed Windows Vista. The best thing is there is no need to look though a manual for hours on how to use them, everything is straightforward.

All the Apple programs are aweosme; they all interact with each other. For example using iMovie, you can import a track from iTunes, and image from iPhoto, then email it using Mail or upload it straight to YouTube.

Setting up a network with a Mac is a piece of pie. Unlike windows where you have to spend hours configuring, my Mac did all the hard yards for me. From the first time I turned my Mac on it was connected! I had zero configuring to do. I think Windows be renamed to a netnotwork

Apple customer support. It actually did what it is supposed to do, support customers. I rang up, was NOT put on hold, the operator spoke English, and had the exact solution for me. They even emailed me the solution in-case I had forgot how to resolve the issue. I could not ask for anything more.

Overall Apple has changed the way I go about computing. I will not being going back to a Windows in a hurry! The ideas, the inventions Apple creates for your computer experience are far more superior to anything Windows can come up with. Apple, your alright!

To all those stubborn people, why not get off your bottom and see what Apple has on offer. Don’t diss it until you have tried it

Reaction score
Good comments, but you're preaching to the choir ... you don't need to convince us! ;D

If you posted this on a Windows forum, I'm sure you would get a lot of feedback from people trying to defend their choice of using Windows. I'm always amused by people who try to rationalize why their Windows PCs are plagued with viruses and Macs aren't. I love this one: "Macs aren't important, so nobody bothers writing viruses for Macs." :Smirk: Comments like those always seem to come from people who have never used a Mac in their lifetimes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.