iTunes Library Erased Itself

Reaction score
Well this put a damper on the start of my Memorial Day weekend. I have been searching all morning for answers to my problem, but have not found much. I'll outline my problem, then what I've done so far.

I woke up this morning, booted up iTunes, and my entire library -- gone. All of my songs, playlists, everything. Looking on my hard drive, it seems as though my song files are still there.

So far, after searching and reading a ton of posts, I have:
1) Searched through Spotlight, found my .xml file, and added it as a playlist. This simply re-adds the default library for me (with the generic "90s Hits" playlist and such).

2) Looked for my old .xml file through Time Machine. No go. I thought I was being the responsible Mac user, but I had set up to NOT backup my portable hard drive... whaddya know, my iTunes library is on that portable HD.

3) Tried holding down option while booting up iTunes and seeing if I could reimport another library file. I only saw one there -- the default empty one. Perhaps others could suggest places to look?

I am considering the following solutions:
a) Trying to find software to get my library back from my iPod. Before I do this, I want to know if this will keep my ratings, smart playlists, "date imported" and all relevant details. This is actually a big deal for me.
b) I have a backup from March when (presumably) I upgraded to 8.1. This would be a pain, but at least I could start from there, right?

That was all earlier today. Since then, I have followed the instructions here: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

Great. It restored me to a library from who knows when. I am missing a thousand or so songs, a dozen playlists, songs are in the library that I've deleted since then, etc.

Really, REALLY annoyed right now. It seems so random that iTunes would erase itself, and I have received no answer from googling all day.
Other notes:

* I saw on a post somewhere that there is nothing built into iTunes that could just wipe a library, so that is promising at least.
* My iTunes .xml file shows a Date Modified of 11/4/08 -- doesn't make sense to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really have searched, but it seems as though most current problems with the library vanishing are related to a Sony Vaio issue. I just DON'T understand how this could happen!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
<snip>
2) Looked for my old .xml file through Time Machine. No go. I thought I was being the responsible Mac user, but I had set up to NOT backup my portable hard drive... whaddya know, my iTunes library is on that portable HD.

<snip>

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really have searched, but it seems as though most current problems with the library vanishing are related to a Sony Vaio issue. I just DON'T understand how this could happen!!

First off, iTunes doesn't just "erase" itself. Secondly, if you are a Mac user, then why would this have anything to do with a Sony Vaio?

OP
J
Reaction score
First off, iTunes doesn't just "erase" itself. Secondly, if you are a Mac user, then why would this have anything to do with a Sony Vaio?

Many, many Vaio users were experiencing this problem. I was trying to preempt someone telling me to search around more, because I have, and most results are in regards to this Sony problem.

And you have my word that my library did indeed erase itself.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah. I see. I found the article about Vaio users having issues, but that is specific to some software that Sony includes. Are you sure the music is all gone too?
MY iTUNES LIBRARY ERASED ITSELF, TOO - iLounge Forums

Whoops. Just re-read my post... I should clarify. All of my actual song files are still present. What I don't have is the library and all the data and playlists associated with the file.

Sorry for the confusion - understand where your'e coming from now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Many, many Vaio users were experiencing this problem. I was trying to preempt someone telling me to search around more, because I have, and most results are in regards to this Sony problem.

And you have my word that my library did indeed erase itself.

Ah. I see. I found the article about Vaio users having issues, but that is specific to some software that Sony includes. Are you sure the music is all gone too?
MY iTUNES LIBRARY ERASED ITSELF, TOO - iLounge Forums

Reaction score
The Vaio has a feature that if the music is rubbish, it removes it from your PC !!

Only kidding

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.