How to configure Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
I'd be using it for school mostly...taking notes in lecture and using programs like

Wolfram Mathetmatica and LateX, but also for recording and film editing.

I THINK that I want to have it fully loaded (exception w.r.t. the hard drive)

so far i'm thinking ..

128gb solid state hard drive
4gb ram
2.66 ghz processor

is this over the top for what i'll be using it for? i really think the solid state is a good idea for heat / battery life / speed reasons. also, i think the ram is a good idea to have it maxed out

what do ya'all think?

thanks a lot in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
yeah, that's probably more than you need. However, if you will need to do lots of multimedia stuff, those specs are great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
*drool* I'd love that rig. When the SSDs come down in price a bit, I'm going to get one for this alumbook. Should speed her up a little bit. Maybe I'll get a pro when I come into some money and then give this MB to my fiancee. If she doesn't get her own first.

You probably won't notice the difference between 2.66 and 2.4GHz either. Save some cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
if it were me, I would do
320gb 7200 rpm hard drive. 120gb sshd is nothing on a macbook pro!!!
4gb ram
2.66 ghz processor

OP
R
Reaction score
wouldn't the regular hard drive cause a lot of heat? isn't the SSHD cooler (temperature)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Just use a 120 GB hard drive! That should be enough for what you want to do. 1 GB of ram ought to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
um, the MB doesn't come with 1gb of ram. not even the low end ones haha. if you've got the cash, i'd go ssd. Why not. It'll be cooler and has ridiculous read/write rates. It will die after a certain number of write cycles, but the controller should be pretty good in it. Plus when an SSD dies, you can still read from it, just not write to it. Easy to restore data to a new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.