!help might buy an Ibook

S

soup

Hello, im a 20yr old Graphic Design student in Alberta, I was saving my money to buy a new 1.6G imac, but now im thinking of buying a 800mgz 12.1 Ibook, its soo much cheaper and its portable tooo so thats a bonus, but can somebody please help me out? i have a few questions, will I be able to run photoshop without buying more ram?? and will I be able to run Lightwave 7, I no there is no way i could render in light wave on this Ibook, but would i be able to model on it (then render in the lab at school) What is the sound quality like for mp3? Is there anything else i should take into consideration while deciding if i want this Ibook or saving up to buy an imac (itll take about a year)
thank you
soup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well you can run Photoshop on it, I do, but I would definitely max the RAM. It's not really that much more expensive to do that and you really will notice a difference. As for Lightwave, I'm not sure, I haven't used that.

OP
D

dbrown

You will definately need to max out the ran for lightwave Rendering...it will take forever if you don't max out the ram.. MP3 quality, good with external speakers.

Consider getting applecare...it is a necessity with a portable computer...and the iBook is arguably susceptable to logic board failures.

Other than that, the only other recommendation I would give you is to shop around...don't just purchase an iBook because it is an apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No logic board failures for me or any of the other 12 people I know with an iBook. Facts please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
schweb said:
No logic board failures for me or any of the other 12 people I know with an iBook. Facts please?

the 5 people i know with iBooks have had no problems with theirs. I love my iMac, but i dont think you should have any problems with either one you buy. Maxing out the RAM on both is a great idea, especially with running lightwave and photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah the peole I know with iBooks love them, same with powerbooks, although the biggest complaint I have heard with powerbooks is them heating up and the 17" is too big to travel with *hehe* Get a 15" then!

Anyways yeah.. iBooks.. havent heard any problems with people I know personally.

OP
L

luther

photoshop on an Ibook

You will have no problem with PS on the I book but maxing out the ram will save you some frustrations. Also you might want to max out the harddrive at 60gb. I am not sure about the other program. Apple is far superior in the laptop arena. I unfortunately have to use a pc for work and I am sorry but the speed and especially the quality is just not there. Good Luck and use your student discount.

OP
L

luther

Oh yea and get an ipod or in your case (student budget) an external firewire harddrive and back up and save your work everynite. Someday you will thank me for that advice.

OP
D

dcoltonbrown

I just wanted to know if you still need facts about the iBook and the faulty logic board?

dbrown

OP
W

WilliS

i worked for my high school over the summer, installing 300 ibooks, and maintaining the 300 they already had... and yea... hes right, some do have logic board problems...but most of those were cause by your typical jerk high school student that has no respect for equiptment and slams the ibooks into the carts they are carried on... out of the 300, only like 10 of them ever had to have the logic board replaced... and i believe if you break the power connector on them, you need to replace the entire logic board...which is *probably* the reason so many of them fail to begin with

i wouldnt worry about it unless you dont take care of your stuff ;)

OP
D

dcoltonbrown

Are you saying that logic board failures are due to user abuse? Holy cow, how far will some of you people go to defend Apple? They institute a recall/ replacement program because they FINALLY admitted to selling and marketing faulty products and you have the gall to say the issue is due to user abuse? Unfreakinbelievable!

OP
L

lzasitko

read the post again

dcoltonbrown said:
Are you saying that logic board failures are due to user abuse? Holy cow, how far will some of you people go to defend Apple? They institute a recall/ replacement program because they FINALLY admitted to selling and marketing faulty products and you have the gall to say the issue is due to user abuse? Unfreakinbelievable!

Did you read the post? He said that in his case most of the damage comes from student abuse. He said nothing else. I would tend to think in his case he is right, when people do not own or pay for something they treat it like garbage, they just don't care. I worked for years in mining and the same was true there only on a much larger monetary scale. The drivers of the vehicles (sometimes $1,000,000 plus and instead of using the brakes they would simply run them into stone walls. Now granted I am not talking about your mothers car or anything like that, these are made for the most part of 1" plate steel so they will take some abuse but still. We have had people run them out of oil and keep on going, even though there is an alarm and lights, they just ignore it, after all it is not theirs!

Larry

OP
P

PC HATER

From what I have heard the new ibooks have not had any problems, and I am pretty sure that they wont in the future, As far abuse I have seen it all when it comes to ibook. i live in a county where there are ibooks for everyone and they are abused to the breaking point. for example thrown out a window or roleed over a car or the disc drive ripped out or the screan cracked. just to name a few. they are very strong computers, but are able to be destroyed and logic board failure is very possible.

OP
W

WilliS

calm down tiger... all im saying is that from what i know (handling around 600 ibooks), there have been some logic board failures.... but mostly due to poor design for abuse / wear....

im not defending them... im simply saying there initial design was poor in some fashion or another... they made them to be a pretty rough "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'" type of computer......they probably had public schools in mind when they designed them for abuse....

and if it was a recall, im betting that they had 1 set of faulty transistors that they ordered and affected maybe 50,000 computers.....by the time you hear about it...its long gone...and the only remaining problem is the ones in that shipment of chips...

so no, im not defending mac... but your certainly quick to jump on me....

OP
P

PC HATER

No i was not pissed at you or anyone, I probably did not read your review i just read like 5 or 6, no big deal just saying what happens in the area where i am at and it is true what you said about the ibooks yeah there have been alot of logic failures in the g3's including my own. not that I had to pay for it, but it still happened. ( i still take care of it by the way). Also i would like to apoligize if i jumped at anyone. I tend to sound like i am defending something when i am responding, Once again i apoligize

OP
W

WilliS

not you...the other guy who jumped all over my post about logic boards and me defending apple :p

OP
P

PC HATER

whoops, it sure can be confusing when your talking to someone on the net.

OP
D

dcoltonbrown

calm down chief...
When you say things like this
but most of those were cause by your typical jerk high school student that has no respect for equiptment and slams the ibooks into the carts they are carried on... out of the 300, only like 10 of them ever had to have the logic board replaced... and i believe if you break the power connector on them, you need to replace the entire logic board...which is *probably* the reason so many of them fail to begin with
i wouldnt worry about it unless you dont take care of your stuff

you are either defending Apple (by spreading misinformation) or you are ignorant of the iBook issues. To say that breaking the power connector is probably the reason so many logic boards fail is utterly ridiculous and all it would take is a cursory look on the Apple website. All you are doing is providing smoke and mirrors for Apple - even by inferring that user abuse is the cause of a faulty product. You are talking about a company who claimed there were no known issues for more than a year, and all of a sudden reversed their postition when the threat of a class action suit came into play. And I am willing to bet that the replacement program will be extended to include even more serial numbers...there is already a growing grumble among disgruntled iBook owners who were not included in this program.

BTW, if this were due to user abuse in any way, shape, or form, why would Apple offer refunds to affected iBook owners who paid for their logic board to be replaced?

So yes, I am extremely quick to jump on you...you are spreading misinformation and dumbing down a rather large issue with the iBook. As long as people defend and apologize for Apple, they will never garner more than a 2% market share...and that effects users like me - who want a quality product that is supported by more than a handful of vendors.

And..uh, what part of
...i wouldnt worry about it unless you dont take care of your stuff
did I misunderstand?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.