Copying files from macbook pro to external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new user to Mac systems. With PC's I can drag and drop the entire folders of photos that are on my desktop to the external drive. But when I try to do the same with a Mac it doesn't allow me. Please advise on how I can transfer from files from my desktop to my external drive.

"Macintosh HD" - All Pictures I copy all the raw files to a new folder on my Mac's desktop. I want to back up those photos to my external drive.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Without a little more info any anwsers will just be a guess. So...How is your hdd formated , how large are these folders. A FAT32 drive will not allow file transfers larger then 4 gigs....We need more info.

Clay

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Clay! This will help alot!

So what file format do I need to format my drives to so I can write to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
If it's only going to be used on a Mac, then Mac OS Extended (Journaled) will work perfect.

Basically open up Disk Utility (Finder Toolbar > Go > Utility's > Disk Utility), Click the drive in question, click 'Erase' > Volume Format > Pick either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS Extended > Click Erase.

Now your done. However this will destroy any data on the drive, and will only be able to be used on Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.