FiOS DHCP Router + AE + Guest Network

Reaction score
So...here's the deal...I am stuck with this wireless router/gateway/modem from Verizon for my FiOS service. I've already disabled the wireless and setup my Airport Extreme (AE) and everything is working fine.

Now. I want to add a guest network but cannot. The AE must be in bridge mode since the FiOS router is handling the DHCP...is there another way?

Thanks in advance for the help ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So...here's the deal...I am stuck with this wireless router/gateway/modem from Verizon for my FiOS service. I've already disabled the wireless and setup my Airport Extreme (AE) and everything is working fine.

I've never seen FIOS use a modem. Are you referring to the Actiontec router connection provided by Verizon? You either have that or a normal router and MIM unit which provides the on screen guide and Pay Per View.

Now. I want to add a guest network but cannot. The AE must be in bridge mode since the FiOS router is handling the DHCP...is there another way?

Not that I know of. FIOS is great because of its speed and bandwidth but does have limitations. Because of that I returned an AE to Best Buy and chose instead to just use the Verizon equipment to provide wireless.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Not that I know of. FIOS is great because of its speed and bandwidth but does have limitations. Because of that I returned an AE to Best Buy and chose instead to just use the Verizon equipment to provide wireless.

Regards.

OOPS...that was a mistake on your end. You are getting MAX 5Mbit/sec. over the crap wireless of the FiOS modem/router.

Do a test and you will see. You would think that you could do the full 20 - or whatever your service level is but it does not! Tech support also is aware of this and offers no solution. Only way to get full speed is use a different wireless box like the AE.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OOPS...that was a mistake on your end. You are getting MAX 5Mbit/sec. over the crap wireless of the FiOS modem/router.

Do a test and you will see. You would think that you could do the full 20 - or whatever your service level is but it does not! Tech support also is aware of this and offers no solution. Only way to get full speed is use a different wireless box like the AE.

I don't know where you are but here in the Fort Worth area (where FIOS was first launched in the US) we get full bandwidth and speed just using a normal router. I use a D-Link router along with the Verizon supplied MIM unit (which as I stated above supplies the on screen menu and Pay Per View option). I've tested my system numerous times and have always come within + or - 1% of specs.

I also run two other Win computers off the same wireless connection with little or no drop in bandwidth or speed. The AE unit didn't even come close to that besides being overpriced and more difficult to setup.

I guess different locations have different results. Doesn't surprise me considering Verizon is so big. I do agree with you about Verizon technical support, for the most part they are Mac ignorant. I have only come across one tech in the past two years who knew anything at all about OS X or Mac hardware.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.