OSX 10.5.6 leopard freezes on spinning wheel startup, no desktop

Reaction score
Hi

I have an issue with recently installing leopard 10.5.6 on my G5 powermac ppc 1.8ghz with 4 gig of ram. The installation is fine with the system software and i installed all the apps, but when i started up the next day it chimes, but when it gets to the grey apple screen with the spinning icon, it spins the just freezes.

Ok so i reseted the, pram and let it chime three times and then it ususally loads onto the desktop, but i still have the issue of before when i shut down and startup and sometimes resetting pram doesn't sometimes work.

Ok so i rebooted in safe mode and it boots up ok to desktop. Checked the disk with utilitys all seems fine. Also connectted to my ibook booting the G5 in target disk mode and checked it on there also, all seems good.

From reading other forums, the issue could be somesort of corrupted file or log in details so i thought i would upgrade to 10.5.7 (with combo updater not software update) might replace the corrupted file or help it, but no luck, same problem with startup.

This is not a problem with the harddrive as its run perfectly on my previous system software (Tiger 10.4.11). Nor is this the motherboard as my computer was running fine before. This has only happened on upgrade. Does anyone know a way of solving this, I read somewhere that it can be corrected with something written in the terminal?? If so please explain, any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Zac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just so we all know - what did u use to install Leopard OS on the G5 and was it an archive and install?

OP
V
Reaction score
i did a an archive and install first of all and same problem, so I erased disk and did full install, same problem.

Thanks

Z

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.